Help me make sense of this letter.

tag
FixMyCredit1992
Established Contributor

Help me make sense of this letter.

This is a response to a DV letter from Enhanced Recovery Company, LLC

Dear XXXX, 

''

Our offices are in receipt of your dispute and request for verification pursuant to [bla bla bla].

This letter is a response to your dispute. Please be advised we have contacted our client, who has confirmed the name and address listed on the account as well as the amount owed.

Enclosed is a summary of the charges on the account and any billing statements by our client that confirm the charges.

Sounds normal, but it gets weirder...

Please be advised we have reported this debt to consumer reporting agencies (even though they didn't), but in acknowledgment of your dispute, we have requested this account to be removed from all credit reporting agencies. 

CRA's may take 30 days or longer to update their reports, and this is beyond our control.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok. Here is why the letter is confusing.

1. The DV letter says the must stop collection activities for 30 days. However, their letter says they removed it from my reports, but never mentioned about reapplying it. Also, it was never on any of my CR's to begin with.

2. The letter says in bold letters "THIS IS NOT AN ATTEMPT TO COLLECT A DEBT".

3. The letter does not make any mention of whether or not I still owe them money. 

So now what? 

Farm and Fleet $3,000 (AU) Paypal Extras MC $1,500
Barclay's Apple Visa $1,200 QVC Qcard $800
Amazon Store Card $600 Discover $500
Walmart MC $400 Victoria's Secret $350
Credit One $300 Fingerhut $200
TU Fico 626

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Help me make sense of this letter.

It looks to me as if they sent what is min compliance with the DV request in order to remove any issues of their possible violation of any cease collection bar.

It also looks as if they have bailed on further collection, as if they remain as an active debt collector and correspond with you, they are required to provide notice that it IS in connection with collection on a debt.  Their statement of CR deletion when you see no evidence of reporting appears to me to be a form paragraph, boilerplate statement that they insert into all such letters regardless of whether they have reported.

If they do take further collection action, that letter would constitute a violation of the FDCPA by stating directly contrary to their requred notification that their communication is with respect to colletion on a debt.

My guess is that they are bailiing, and that you may soon see communication from a new debt collector.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.