Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help me rebuild and learn to use credit to up my FICO scores please

tag
MrsCHX
Valued Contributor

Help me rebuild and learn to use credit to up my FICO scores please

Just posted on the cc apps board...

I have a Merrick card with $700 CL and was just approved for Cap One Platinum and QS at $300 each.

My current debt (aside from a boat load of student loan debt with a current IBR repayment of $0) is: 

$2400 judgment  June 2011

$2100 judgment June 2010

What is the liklihood of being able to settle these two??

$800 collection item Nov 2014 (they've already said no to settling)

$150 collection item June 2009 (should I just let this "fall off"?)

$400 collection item Mar 2014 (a cc that my now-separated spouse was using and not paying)

$100 collection item June 2014 (a utilitiy bill that my now-separated spouse didn't pay)

I have a handfull of larger medical bills (maybe $2500-$3000) that haven't hit collections. Unfortunately I've been mostly pushing them off as I sort myself out with this separation and moving to a new place.

My current score is low 600s and I really want/need to buy a car this year. Liklihood of me being able to do that by July??

I'm totally open to any and all advice about how to start moving forward and rebuilding!

NFCU: $25,000; PenFed Power Cash Rewards: $3,500; PenFed Gold: $2,500; Capital One: $2,300; Nordstrom Visa: $2,000; Credit One: $1,250
Amazon: 800; Kohls: $1,500
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Help me rebuild and learn to use credit to up my FICO scores please

@MrsCHX wrote:

Just posted on the cc apps board...

I have a Merrick card with $700 CL and was just approved for Cap One Platinum and QS at $300 each.

My current debt (aside from a boat load of student loan debt with a current IBR repayment of $0) is: 

$2400 judgment  June 2011

$2100 judgment June 2010

What is the liklihood of being able to settle these two??  Depends on how hungry they are and whether or not they feel you can pay in full plus all the accrued interest. I would not contact unless you have the ability to settle in full or are ready to enter into payment arrangements.

$800 collection item Nov 2014 (they've already said no to settling)  If its updating monthly pay if off to stop that. Try the PFD first though

$150 collection item June 2009 (should I just let this "fall off"?)  If the collection was opened in Jun 09 then the DoFD of the OC account is earlier I would be calling the CRAs asking for the early exclusion, once its off your report you can offer pennies on the dollar to settle it.

$400 collection item Mar 2014 (a cc that my now-separated spouse was using and not paying)  If you are just an AU dispute it to have it removed, otherwise first try the PFD and failing that pay it to stop monthly updating.

$100 collection item June 2014 (a utilitiy bill that my now-separated spouse didn't pay) Same with this one, if you were not the account holder dispute.

I have a handfull of larger medical bills (maybe $2500-$3000) that haven't hit collections. Unfortunately I've been mostly pushing them off as I sort myself out with this separation and moving to a new place.  Best to try and settle before they do hit collections. I would see if you qualify for the charity care.  If they are sent to collections

For unpaid medical debt that is reporting on your CR:

1. Call the OC and see if you qualify for Charity Care
2. If not then ask that they recall the collection in exchange for full payment
3. Send the reporting CA a PFD offer
4. Google the HIPAA Process and contact its creator for help

My current score is low 600s and I really want/need to buy a car this year. Liklihood of me being able to do that by July??

I'm totally open to any and all advice about how to start moving forward and rebuilding!

Message 2 of 3
MrsCHX
Valued Contributor

Re: Help me rebuild and learn to use credit to up my FICO scores please

Thank you for such a detailed response!

NFCU: $25,000; PenFed Power Cash Rewards: $3,500; PenFed Gold: $2,500; Capital One: $2,300; Nordstrom Visa: $2,000; Credit One: $1,250
Amazon: 800; Kohls: $1,500
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.