cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help members please, credit card company (bank of America visa)

tag
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: Help members please, credit card company (bank of America visa)

^^To add to the posts above, check out IRS publication 4681 https://www.irs.gov/uac/About-Publication-4681

Message 11 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

They may be referring to a 1099, which happens when a charge off above a certain value occurs.   So for example if you never paid a card, and it charged off, you may get a 1099 form and need to pay taxes on the charged off amount.     You can contact the IRS to see if you owe taxes or if any 1099's have been submitted.  Typically the IRS will let you know via mail. 

Thats incorrect. It happens when the creditor decides to no longer pursue collection of the debt, settles for a reduced portion of the debt, or otherwise forgives all or a portion of the debt exceeding $600. The actual charge off is not relevant.

Message 12 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I stand corrected, yes it could be any debt including a charge off.   I was really just trying to point out to the OP that they 1099c may have been what the letter was referring to.   I have had 2 charge offs, and they both 1099'd me, many many years later.

Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.