cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help needed with Midland not acting in good faith.

tag
matt1ward

Help needed with Midland not acting in good faith.

Hi Everybody,

I took Midland up on one of the settlement offers for paid in full.  Payment was due on 2-3-2013.  I payed via there website on 8-1-2013 and printed out every page along the process.  It clearly shows a payment date of 2-1-2013.  Today I recieve a letter dated 8-6-2013 saying:

Dear xxxx,

Midland Credit management, Inc. has recieved your payment of $240.12.

We would like to thank you for your recent payment on your account.  Our records indicate that your payment plan has expired or you have not established a payment plan to resolve the outstanding balance.  We would like you to know we have account managers available to work with you to set-up a payment arrangement and resolve the remaining balance due on your account.

-They want the remaining 160.08.

Please how do I proceed from here and thank you.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
jmoney3457
New Contributor

Re: Help needed with Midland not acting in good faith.

Did you get the PIF in writing? If so, send that to them and ask what's going on.

Message 2 of 8
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@matt1ward wrote:

Hi Everybody,

I took Midland up on one of the settlement offers for paid in full.  Payment was due on 2-3-2013.  I payed via there website on 8-1-2013 and printed out every page along the process.  It clearly shows a payment date of 2-1-2013.  Today I recieve a letter dated 8-6-2013 saying:

Dear xxxx,

Midland Credit management, Inc. has recieved your payment of $240.12.

We would like to thank you for your recent payment on your account.  Our records indicate that your payment plan has expired or you have not established a payment plan to resolve the outstanding balance.  We would like you to know we have account managers available to work with you to set-up a payment arrangement and resolve the remaining balance due on your account.

-They want the remaining 160.08.

Please how do I proceed from here and thank you.

Did you receive a letter from them with the settlement offer?

Message 3 of 8
matt1ward

Yes, I recieved a settelment offer from them in the mail which I still have as well as my reciept from them when I paid online showing my payment day as 2-1-2013.  I should also note I selected the same offer online as it was on the account online.

Message 4 of 8
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Did the settlement say it would consider the account paid in full?

If it didn't, though they say settled, they will try to come after you for the balance.

Message 5 of 8
matt1ward

Exact wording:

"If we recieve $240.12 by 02-03-2013, we will consider your balance paid in full!"

It then goes on to say,-"once payment made to settle account, your credit report will be updated as "Paid in full"!

Message 6 of 8
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Then I would write them a letter and enclose a copy of the settlement letter from them.  Tell them you kept your end of the settlement arrangements and they need to keep theirs.  If they don't you will not hesitate to report them to the FTC, BBB and your state AG.  If they chose to ignore you, you will sue them.

Something like that.  But, if you threaten to sue, make sure you really will.

Message 7 of 8
SLR72689
Frequent Contributor

Also dealing with Midland! They are so stressful to work with.

I received the same kind of letter - a settlement with agreement to update the account as "paid in full". I'm worried if I settle, they won't keep up on their end and mark it as paid in full.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.