Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help needed with charge off accounts

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Help needed with charge off accounts

I have the following charge offs on my credit report, both from First Premiere.  I'm planning to DV it and may be file a 623, but I'm not sure if it would do any good.  I can't tell the DOFD for these accounts.  Can anyone give me some advices on how to handle these two accounts.

Account Number

XXXXXXXXXX

Account Type

Installment Loan

Terms

Date Opened

06/11/2009

Account Status

Closed

Payment Status

Late

Payment Status Details

Bad debt & placed for collection & skip

Status Updated

11/09/2014

Balance

$513.00

Balance Updated

-

Credit Limit

$350.00

Past Due Amount

$513.00

High Balance

-

Comments

CHARGED OFF ACCOUNT

Account Number

517800XXXXXXXXXX

Account Type

Installment Loan

Terms

Date Opened

01/21/2010

Account Status

Closed

Payment Status

Late

Payment Status Details

Status Updated

02/02/2014

Balance

$549.00

Balance Updated

-

Credit Limit

$475.00

Past Due Amount

$549.00

High Balance

In my Equifax report, this Chase account pops up.  I did not have this account nor was ever an authorized user of any Chase credit account.  I have dispute it with Equifax couple weeks ago.  Should I also direct dispute with Chase also?

Account Number

XXXXXX

Account Type

Installment Loan

Terms

M

Date Opened

12/12/2006

Account Status

-

Payment Status

Late

Payment Status Details

Status Updated

07/01/2017

Balance

-

Balance Updated

-

Credit Limit

$6,000.00

Past Due Amount

-

High Balance

BTW, I tried to sign up with Alliant today for the SSL but my membership was denied due to Chexsystem.  The rep told me to call Chexsystem.  I called but only got the machine.  I ordered my free chexsystem report.  The weird part is that I'm currently banked with Wells Fargo for more than 7 years.  Last week, I just opened both saving and checking accounts with Golden 1 Credit Union near my home.  I ended up open a saving secured loan with Golden 1.  I open another separate saving just for this SSL and was approved right away, so I'm not sure what's going on with my Chexsystem report.  Anyway, just want to throw it out there in case someone might encounter the same problem as I did.      

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Help needed with charge off accounts

You can't DV an OC over a debt.  

A 623 may do nothing with First Premier if they have solid records, and if the debt is still within SOL and they respond to your 623 with solid records, then they also know they can sue you.

Find the DOFD by ordering your paper reports from the credit bureaus, not from a monitoring service.  Calculate SOL.  Figure out what to do from there.

I wouldn't burn a future good will attempt over a $550 chargeoff.  Probably would do some research and if First Premier has done goodwill adjustments for others, I would pay it in full and then slam them using goodwill saturation.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your response.

Actually it's two separate accounts, and yes I do agree with you the total amount of both accounts is not worth it to burn my future good.  The problem I have right now is I'm not sure when the DOFD is.  I don't want to contact them and bring it back something if it's gonna be off my record in the near future.

Message 3 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

DV requests apply only to debt collectors, not to original creditors.

Validation by original creditors is provided on a regular basis and course of business by your account agreement and your monthly statements.

The eventual exclusion of the charge-off is based only on the reported DOFD, which must have been reported to the CRA no later than 90 days after they reported the charge-off.  You can obtain it from more comprehensive reports obtained via annualcreditreport.com, directly from the CRAs, or by formal request to the CRA.

As for a direct dispute, a dispute under FRCA 623(a)(8) requires identification of an inaccuracy in their reporting.

Do you have any basis for asserting an inaccuracy?

The DOFD is a date-certain based on the first delinquency in the chain of delinquency that includes the reported charge-off.

Requesting info or contacting the creditor will not have any impact upon or reset the DOFD.

If the debt is legit, removal of a reported charge-off should be addressed by making a pay for deletion offer to the creditor.

Are you willing to pay the debt in order to obtain their deletion of the charge-off?

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just received a copy of my TransUnion credit report today.  According to the report, both First Premier accounts will be removed after 02/2018 and 3/2018.  I've been reading about TransUnion early exclusion.  Would it be all right for me to contact TranUnion and request for both to be removed early since there is only three to four more months before they will officially remove it. 

Message 5 of 7
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Just received a copy of my TransUnion credit report today.  According to the report, both First Premier accounts will be removed after 02/2018 and 3/2018.  I've been reading about TransUnion early exclusion.  Would it be all right for me to contact TranUnion and request for both to be removed early since there is only three to four more months before they will officially remove it. 

Do you need them off sooner? If not, I'd left them fall off. Some people have gotten theirs removed extra early but others have had their dates adjusted and the removal dates got moved further back. I wouldn't try any sooner than two months before removal date, just my opinion, YMMV. 

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the reply.  I don't need to be off any sooner.  May be it's best to let it falls off by itself since I'm gardening right to improve my score and get some inquiries removed before joining PenFed. 

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.