Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help needed with collection accounts

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Help needed with collection accounts

I just ordered a copy of my credit report from CreditCheckTotal and discovered that I have several negatives. 

The only collection account I have on my reports is with PRA.  The original creditor is Capital One. 

However, in my Transunion credit report, it listed the account status as "open"

Account Number
XXXXXXXXXX
Account Type
Collection
Terms

Date Opened
09/25/2014
Account Status
Open
Payment Status
Unknown
Payment Status Details
-
Status Updated
10/08/2017
Balance
$806.00
Balance Updated
-
Credit Limit
-
Past Due Amount
-
High Balance
-
Monthly Payment
-
Balloon Payment
-
Contact Phone
(844) 675-3407
Contact Address
120 CORPORATE BLVD STE 100, NORFOLK, VA 23502
Ownership
Individual account
Original Creditor
08 CAPITAL ONE BANK USA N A 201
Company Sold-to
-
Original Amount
$806.00
Comments
-

While in my Equifax report, it shows:

Account Number
CAPITXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Account Type
Collection
Terms

Date Opened
09/25/2014
Account Status
-
Payment Status
Unknown
Payment Status Details
-
Status Updated
10/08/2017
Balance
$806.00
Balance Updated
-
Credit Limit
-
Past Due Amount
$806.00
High Balance
$806.00
Monthly Payment
-
Balloon Payment
-

and my Experian report shows:

PORTFOLIO RECOVERY ASS

Account Number
XXXXXXXXXX
Account Type
Collection
Terms
1 Month
Date Opened
09/01/2014
Account Status
Closed
Payment Status
Late
Payment Status Details
Seriously past due date / assigned to attorney, collection agency, or credit grantor's internal collection department
Status Updated
01/01/2015
Balance
$806.00
Balance Updated
-
Credit Limit
-
Past Due Amount
$806.00
High Balance
-
Monthly Payment
-
Balloon Payment
-

Company Sold-to
-
Original Amount
$806.00

So, my question is what is the difference between between the listing of the Transunion and the other two bureaus.  I assume being "open" status would do more harm on my report than the rest.  Also, what does it mean under "Terms" where Experian has it as "1 month" while Equifax is empty.  Also, is it possible to tell when the DOFD is from this report?  I've requested a free copy from all three bureaus with annualcreditreport.com. 

Thank you in advance for all your help.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Help needed with collection accounts

You need your paper reports direct, annualcreditreport is a great way to get your paper copies (on paper or digitally)!  Very helpful.  DOFD isn't on any monitoring websites as far as I'm aware.

As for "open" status that's likely wrong, but is neither here nor there because it's the overall account that affects you the worst.  It may help in getting rid of it, but more likely they'll just fix the status in a dispute.

Once you have your DOFD and calculate SOL, post here!

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

"open" status for an unpaid collection is appropriate.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

You need your paper reports direct, annualcreditreport is a great way to get your paper copies (on paper or digitally)!  Very helpful.  DOFD isn't on any monitoring websites as far as I'm aware.

As for "open" status that's likely wrong, but is neither here nor there because it's the overall account that affects you the worst.  It may help in getting rid of it, but more likely they'll just fix the status in a dispute.

Once you have your DOFD and calculate SOL, post here!

+100%

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Once you have your paper reports you will likely see the same debt account listed from Capital One AND Portfolio Recovery (a collection agency). Portfolio Recovery has purchased your file from Capital One and it is likely that Capital One no longer has your records. Nor does Capital One have any further interest in your account. That being said, Portfolio Recovery will even put the Capital One logo onto their own letterhead in order to infer they are part of Capital One and from what I have found & what Capital One has told me they are not affiliated. So, if you are beyond the SOL in your state you will need to inform Portfolio Recovery that they are in violation of the statute and to cease and desist all collection efforts and remove the items from all your credit reports (under Capital One or their own name) immediately. In my opinion they operate in a questionable manner. I hope this is helpful.
Message 5 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Collections are not accounts of/with the consumer, they are only "accounts" in the sense of reporting to a CRA.

The "Open Date" for a collection is unrelated to the open date of an account between a creditor and a consumer.

Debt collectors can report the Open Date of their collection as being the date they received collection authority, which can be any time after the DOFD.  It is not uncommon for a debt collector to report the Open Date as their first reporting to a CRA.  The CRA credit reporting manual does not clearly restrict the Open Date for a collection as being the specific date they first obtained collection authority as opposed to when they first report to a CRA, so dispute of the accuracy of the Open Date is very questionable as to the specific CRA reporting requirement.

Regardless, the Open Date for a collection does not enter into scoring or effect the ultimate exclusion date of the collection, which is based ONLY on the DOFD.  Thus, disputes of the Open Date for a collection are apt to be very confusing, and of dubious value on any substantive scoring or exclusion issues.  I would not challenge a few days, or even months, in discrepancy between Open Date reported to differing CRAs.  It is essentially a side-show.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.