Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help rebuilding...where to start

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Help rebuilding...where to start

Brief history

Husband and I have about $7000 in CC debt.  We have two auto payments and another loan payment on my husbands boat.  We are currently upside down on one auto payment.  Things were perfectly fine until my husband lost his job and cannot collect unemployment.  He does some odd jobs but that just helps with the essentials like groceries and utilties.  Basically our CC minimum payments are $350 a month.  I was thinking of just stop making payments on them and then calling them one at a time as I get some money to settle the balances.  I struggle with this so much because until 4 months ago I never had a late payment on my report.    However we were idiots and lived beyond our means never expecting my husband to lose his job.  My credit score has always been low because I've had "too much debt".  I am tired of stressing every month trying to make the minimum payments and it's done nothing for my credit score.  I know we cannot buy a house for several years so I'm about to just say screw it all.  We've spent all our savings and have been liquidating any thing of value to make our monthly payments.  We are trying to sell the boat and one car but that's very difficult.  I'm really looking for any help or advice on what to do.  Thanks.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
mauve
Valued Contributor

Re: Help rebuilding...where to start

Have you tried calling the CCCs and the loan holders to ask them to work with you?

Starting Score: EQ 583 TU04 619 EX 592 (lender pull) 2010
Previous High Score: EQ 700 TU04 712 EX 726
Current Score: EQ 740 TU(Discover) 750 EX(AMEX) 747
Goal Score: 740+ all around

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 3
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Help rebuilding...where to start

Call the creditors and see if they will work with you.  I would hesitate to do a payment plan because you will get a late payment every month.  You don't want that.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.