Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help removing late payments on Nelnet Student loans

tag
Jaydawg220
Contributor

Help removing late payments on Nelnet Student loans

Because I wasn't aware of when I had to start repayment on my 2 student loan accts with NelNet, I have 6 late payments on my Credit Report (3 on each student loan) They didnt call, but they sent emails regarding my repayments (I never got them because I didnt check my emails on the listed email address)
Both accts are 1yr&4mnths old. They show all payments as on time except july, aug, & sept. Then they show deferment due to national disaster.

Has anyone ever had late payments removed from their Nelnet student loan accts?

Anybody have a good Nelnet contact for a goodwill letter?
Starting Fico 8s- TU 485 EX 470 EQ 470 [1/1/2015]
Current Fico 8s- TU 638 EX 626 EQ 615 [5/1/2017]
Merrick Bank $1100, Wells Fargo Secured $300, NFCU Secured $800, First Premier $300, CareCredit $3000, Fingerhut $800
Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

Re: Help removing late payments on Nelnet Student loans

Is these federally backed student loans?
Message 2 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good luck. Nelnet is literally the worst
Message 3 of 24
Jaydawg220
Contributor

Yes these are Federal Student loans. My studen loan servicer is Nelnet.

Yes, Apparantly, Nelnet is really hard to get to remove late payments, but there are 3 on each of my 2 student loan tradelines, and they are putting me in the mid 500s, when without them, id probably be in the mid to upper 600s. Its driving me crazy. I wont give up till i have them removed.

I even started using Lexington Law, and im going to pay them for a few months to see if they can get the results i want. Here in SC its 49.99 to start and 39.99 each month after. well see what happens. But i have seen people having success removing late payments on Nelnet. Anybody here have success?

Merrick Bank $1100, Wells Fargo Secured $300, NFCU Secured $800, First Premier $300, CareCredit $3000, Fingerhut $800
Message 4 of 24
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

Federally backed student loans fall under different laws than most items. If the lates are legit then they are required to report them.
Message 5 of 24
iowe
Regular Contributor

Good luck. I've literally only read about one other case where someone was successful in getting nelnet to remove lates, and that was several years ago. They are easily the worst company in the world when it comes to trying to work with them. Between their incompetence and the bogus late payments they will sometimes report (as in my case) they will not budge.

They are the worst student loan servicer in the world in my opinion. The only company more dirty and shiesty is a collection company called Midland.

2024 Goal: To finally be debt free
Message 6 of 24
Jaydawg220
Contributor

Well shucks, that's what iv read. Figured I'd give it a try.
Message 7 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

No federal student loan servicer is going to remove any late payments while you are still in repayment, unless you shouldn't have been in repayment. It is a violation of the Higher Education Act.

Nelnet is tough to get good will on paid off loans, as people have mentioned. 

Unfortunately not keeping up to date on your student loan status is not a good reason for paying late. It sucks, but it's why they make you read and sign multiple pages of repayment education - which informs you of time periods for repayment out of grace periods, deferments, and forebearances. They remind you repeatedly of when your loans will be due, starting months before the first payment is due. Nelnet is actually one of the better ones who will literally go out of their way to communicate with you that you are about to be due, about to be late, and being late.

You're going to be stuck with these lates until your loan is paid off, unless there's some reason you shouldn't have had a payment due during that timeframe.

Message 8 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ironically, while everyone is saying the only way they'll remove the lates is if you shouldn't have been in repayment status, even when I've provided nelnet with their own version of proof of enrollment, they are fighting me nonstop to remove the 90 and 120 day lates. Have a look for the details on my thread http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Student-Loans/Nelnet-lates/td-p/4907986
Message 9 of 24
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The Higher Education Act mandates reporting of delinquencies to at least one CRA.

It is not that Nelnet, or any other servicer of federal student loans, is being a PITA.

It is a matter of compliance with the Higher Education Act.  Requests for GW deletion are routinely denied until the loan is paid.

Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.