cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help went from CC 91% utilization to 27%..

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Help went from CC 91% utilization to 27%..

I brought my credit card total utilization from 91% to 27%..will I see a significant jump when First Premier updates with the credit bureau in September?

Milestone-40.00 balance..credit limit 300-already updated with credit bureau
First Premier-5.00 balance ..credit limit 500-will update in September 5 with bureau
Fingerhut-278 balance..credit limit 400-already updated with bureau..

I'm assuming First Premier will be the deal breaker ?

Thanks
3 REPLIES 3
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

Re: Help went from CC 91% utilization to 27%..

You should see a decent score increase.  Another thing you can do is have 2 of the accounts report a $0 balance.  

Once you bring Fingerhut below 29%, you should see another increase.

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 2 of 4
CrankyDave
Regular Contributor

Great work, you should see a nice score bump. Below 9% overall seems to be the magic number for the really big boost, along with only having one card report a balance. I've *never* been able to time my payments to get that to work, though...

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

1) Great work👏👏👏
Congrats on tackling that debt
Kicking 91%'s butt = very nice👌

2) As mentioned by @mediccgrrl
The ideal goal is something called
AZEO
All Zero Except One
Having All cards report as zero balances, except one and that one below 29% = good, below 19%= better, below 9%=best

(Briefly...WHY, what's the reasoning?... Remember credit scoring = RISK scoring. Having several different cards with ANY balance at all demonstrates a risk vs no cards with a balance ( can't default w/o something debt to default on, right?) but wait no cards, is anyone 'home' using credit = that's why ONE card show a small non significant amount of usage, demonstrating management of debt at a comfortable or better % of available CLs)

*Ironically the OP could have easily been there this reporting cycle by squashing $40 off Milestone and $5 from the FP ( again, ANY balance, even the $5 because the computer model just reads balance/no balance = no other detail...$5 hurts as much as $500, regarding this specific measure) again just $45 more, total.

I suspect, as often happens the OP confused 'showing a small balance' meant PER card, when really it's PER the entire profile... sometimes, when giving/sharing info well meaning ppl SKIP steps/instructions that too often are critically important, which is one reason I ' long wind' stuff because over time one starts to see too many ppl miss the same exit, after awhile, you figure...put up more signs😇

3) Ok, here comes, concerned Uncle Gemini
How long have we had these cards, this trip...with these trainer level CLs
*The situation lends itself to some 'help' being needed in the overall management of this growing profile if the goal is to build a strong, thick profile pretty enough to win an Oscar.

The 3 TLs = nice work...I've already mentioned how important AZEO is to build positive history over TIME, the over time part KILLS mere humans, often ppl 'feel' well it's been like 45-100 days is my profile Cinderella,yet?
I recommend folks want to at minimum, allow the 'video game' of AZEO to play out over 8-10 months ( yeah an ENTIRE 3rd grade school year, chill out😉)
and understand your adult life consist of many, many and the better part of 2/3's of one is nothing but it allows 'some' data to build up within your profile, enough that a risk model can give a half way decent 👍 to said profile being lower risk vs a too young, too thin to know wild card
Again, it's still early but at least there's some evidence that the rookie will be alright
As 10-20-30 reporting cycles past more confidence can be gleaned towards yeah he/she got this but the time/aging/length has to actually happen to garner to extra bumps (can't rush time)
= Do the best, you can for the time so far and keep it up

Again, IMO 'brand new' is absolutely NOT the time to build 91% balances in the 1st place = you do yourself no good mucking around with baby level CLs
At this stage of the game it's about building a profile over a relatively short period of time....

At least until they call you for the BIG parts with big roles at stake not $300 limits ( again the role of these cards are to audition for bigger and better but one can't RUSH the process) Right now IMO the ONLY goal is showing up PRETTY for monthly reporting until one is paroled out of kiddie level CLs and bottom dweller lenders ( it's ok the stay in cheap motels = Milestones, FHs and FP's of the world as a jump off...until one can move on up to at least Holiday inn Express 🙌) but w/o some beautiful history and well management one can get stuck in the minors for too long.

In fairness IMO there is no need to allow much of any spend on this 'show-me' TLs their, there to manipulate the scoreboard, they aren't 'real' CCs to be used to actually buy sheet with c'mon sub 1k cards are for basic building not IMO to be treated like one owns a 5k CL or is the credit Sophomore or Junior...act like a freaking Freshman/Rookie you're being judged much more harshly than the veterans you're on PROBATION on this gig...impress the bosses or you're assigned to sheet detail...are you picking up what I'm putting down?
When you're new...walk the line, play the role...at least through your probation period, get yourself vested, before you start acting a fool and lose the opportunity to get labeled "better"

Just FYI
Best of luck
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.