Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with Cap1 GW

tag
alexak
Regular Contributor

Help with Cap1 GW

I have been trying to GW with Capital One for a while now, and everytime I get the same response: "All information reporting to the three credit reporting agencies are correct and current." I have one 90-day late and a few 30- and 60-day lates and would like them removed. Even a TL deletion would make me happy, I think that card was only open for 13 or 14 months. I have another card through them now with a spotless history. Heres my letter, (found one on here that I liked and tailored it to my situation) any feedback would be much appreciated.

Dear Sir or Madam:

I have been a Capital One customer since 2010 and during that time, I have enjoyed my experience with Capital One greatly. I am writing to see if you would be willing to make a “goodwill” adjustment to your reporting to the three credit agencies. I have a few late payments on the above referenced account, between February 2011 & September 2011.  Unfortunately, during that time period, I was struggling financially because of cut backs at my job, ultimately leading to me closing the account and paying off the balance over the course of a year. Since then, I have bounced back and become more financially aware and am keeping my current account with you in good standing and paying most of the balance off on time each month.

Because of my exceptional payment history over the past year, I would like you to consider removing the late payments from my credit report. I am not trying to justify why the payments were late, but rather to show that the late payments are currently not a good indicator of my actual credit worthiness. I hope that Capital One is willing to work with me on erasing these marks from my credit reports.

I have been a very happy customer in the past and hope to continue a good standing relationship with Capital One. With today’s credit industry so competitive, I know how important it is to maintain good relationships between creditors and debtors. Capital One has been exceptional in my book so far and I highly recommend it to all my friends and relatives. I hope that you will deeply consider my request and prove once again, why Capital One is heads above the rest.

I do recognize that my request is unique and that it may not be normal policy for Capital One, but I'm hoping that Capital One will remove these late payments from my credit reports. I look forward to your reply.

Sincerely,

Me

Ive been sending it to the address on my CR with no luck. Any suggestions on where to send it next? 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
KevinBlock55
Established Member

Re: Help with Cap1 GW

Contact their executive office. I would try speaking with someone first and follow up with letter. I like the letter tho!
Message 2 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

+1

A major stumbling block in any request for GW deletion is the policy of the CRAs that prior reporting should not be deleted due to payment of the debt.

To put a face on that policy, manner creditors pass down a policy statement to that effect.

Management sets policy, and deviation from policy is not something underlings usually take upon themselves.

Management has the discretion to grant exceptions.

Message 3 of 5
jandj80
Regular Contributor

You have a tough case here being there is multiple lates. I was able to get a GW from them, but I only asked for one month when I had a flawless 4 year record. I just kept calling, probably about the 4th time, I got a manager that was willing to help me. It was gone in a couple days time. I felt that with Capone, it was better to call. I also hear on the boards that calling right before 5 on a Friday will help, as well as it being Christmas time. 

Starting Score: EQ 416 TU 498 EX 468 Lender Fico's July 2012
Current Score: EQ 674 TU 679 Ex 686 EX
Goal Score: For now: 640s

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 5
alexak
Regular Contributor

ive been seeing a lot of over the phone success too. I'm not sure what to say -- "Hello, I'm hoping I can get a goodwill adjustment on one of my accounts?"

Also, it just popped into my head that Orchard Bank is now Cap1... so technically I have two cards with them now, should I add that into my letter?

And a as far as the mutliple lates. I realize its alot to ask. honestly if they would just remove my 90-day late id be happy. I also wouldnt care if they just deleted the whole TL. That account was only open for about 17 months.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.