Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with Capital One Auto Finance Collections

tag
JuJuBee84
Regular Contributor

Help with Capital One Auto Finance Collections

I am going to try to keep this as short as possible but here is my situation. In 2006 we purchased a 2003 Explorer and financed with Americredit. A year later my DH decided to refi that loan with Capital One Auto Finance. Made all the payments regularly until 2009 when I lost my job. Being the breadwinner and no longer being able to afford the payment we surrendered it in Dec 2009.

In January 2010 got a latter from United Recovery Services wanting payments to be made on the balance. (At this time I had no idea about DV letters or even asking for a bill of sale on the vehicle which was never provided.) Anyhow we made payments until November of 2010 and then got a letter from United Recovery stating they no longer owned our account, Capital One had taken it back and we needed to contact them.

After countless calls to Capital One Auto Finance and being transfered to every department I spoke to a rep 11/23/2010 who stated they had our account but it was frozen in the legal department due to a pending lawsuit against Capital One Auto Finance. He stated because of this they were unable to contact us or try and collect anything on it until the lawsuit was settled. He said we would get a letter once the case was settled.

Fast forward to today 2013 my DH received a call stating I need to contact them. He calls back and they tell him we owe $8000 and want us to pay now. My husband said the rep couldn't tell him why its been so long or even what happened with this supposed lawsuit. I'm not trying to get out of this but he is still the only one working and they are demanding something today, much more than we can afford. Its been 3 years now and I have no idea how to approach this situation.

HELP!!!!

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
guykara
Frequent Contributor

Re: Help with Capital One Auto Finance Collections

Although I'm relatively new, I've been lurking for a while and have been reading quite a bit.  It seems like a DV would be appropriate at this time.  I would love to hear what others have to say though.

Starting Scores (10/18/2013): EX: 603 | EQ: 572 | TU: 659
5/05/2014 EX: 628 | EQ: 627 | TU: 623
5/25/2014: EX: 628 | EQ: 635 | TU: 623
Current Scores: EX: 670 | EQ: 663 | TU: 681
Goal Scores: 680 across the board

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.