Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with Charge off Removal

tag
JohnPTEX
Frequent Contributor

Re: Help with Charge off Removal

I agree!  GW'ing goes a long way if you just say, "Hey it was bad time for me.  I'm working to make things right.  I'd like to be (or remain if you have other stuff with them) a customer of you Company in the future.  Thanks!"

Mine say essentially that and I've had three removed in less then three weeks.

Starting Score: TU:619 (02/24/2012) - EQ:629 (02/24/2012)
Current Score: TU:632 (06/21/2012) - EQ:672 (06/21/2012)
Goal Score: 740

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 11 of 21
jibbs1082

Lois5669:

Interessting point about BOA and "owning" the debt. I had called them several times trying to pay them directly, however each time I was definitely told that the debt is no longer theirs and they can not take a payment.

In order to verbalize this correct (as you seem much more versed in this process than I am) – should I simply call and say that I have a debt from BOA on my credit report and I wish to pay it?

Message 12 of 21
jibbs1082

Would it be recommended to send a DV letter to BOA first before I event send one to the current CA?

That way if BOA verifys I could pay them direct, correct?

Message 13 of 21
Lois5669
Frequent Contributor

@jibbs1082 wrote:

Lois5669:

Interessting point about BOA and "owning" the debt. I had called them several times trying to pay them directly, however each time I was definitely told that the debt is no longer theirs and they can not take a payment.

In order to verbalize this correct (as you seem much more versed in this process than I am) – should I simply call and say that I have a debt from BOA on my credit report and I wish to pay it?

I'm not as well versed as I may seem. I'm still struggling with a lot of my stuff but just saying what I'd do in your situation.

To be honest, I would dispute the balance with each CRA.

However, that might not be the correct way (or most effective or fastest way). I'll let someone else answer this one for ya.

Starting Score: EQ = 550; TU = 491(2/10/12)
Current Score: EQ = 669; TU = 674(6/20/14)
Goal Score: 700+

Message 14 of 21
jibbs1082

I'm not as well versed as I may seem. I'm still struggling with a lot of my stuff but just saying what I'd do in your situation.

However, that might not be the correct way (or most effective or fastest way). I'll let someone else answer this one for ya.

- So interessting you would say that because I did send dispute letters to all three CRAs to which they verified the debt with BOA. I was hoping BOA would not verify the debt and simply it would fall off my report (or that the CRA's would not respond in the 30 day window and it would have to be deleted because of that)

Interesting note here on the latest letter from the CA: “your acct is due to be returned to our client for possible further collection action”

Does this mean that the CA will simply return this account to BOA at which point I may have the opportunity to pay BOA directly?

Message 15 of 21
Lois5669
Frequent Contributor

@jibbs1082 wrote:

- So interessting you would say that because I did send dispute letters to all three CRAs to which they verified the debt with BOA. I was hoping BOA would not verify the debt and simply it would fall off my report (or that the CRA's would not respond in the 30 day window and it would have to be deleted because of that)

Interesting note here on the latest letter from the CA: “your acct is due to be returned to our client for possible further collection action”

Does this mean that the CA will simply return this account to BOA at which point I may have the opportunity to pay BOA directly?

That could very well be the case. Everything (other than what BOA is telling you) sounds like they own the debt and the CA was just assigned the debt. I mean, that's what it appears like to me. Have you ever talked to a supervisor in the collections department of BOA?  Or has it always been a CSR?

Does the CA's letter say that their "client" is BOA?

Message 16 of 21
jibbs1082

So this is Bizarre…

Just called the number for BOA listed on the “debt verified – will not remove” letter I received back from Equifax when I sent the CRA a “credit dispute and deletion” letter.

I entered in the account number for the charge off listed under BOA on my credit report (same on that a CA has listed on the letter they most recently sent me)

I went through the prompts on the phone and BOA says that I have a balance of $3705 and to enter a payment “press 1”

Can this be serious? After they have told my 5 times they can not accept payment and do not own the debt?! I guess this gives me the opportunity to sent a PFD or GW letter, or BOTH to BOA direct and get this thing paid, correct?

Message 17 of 21
jibbs1082

That could very well be the case. Everything (other than what BOA is telling you) sounds like they own the debt and the CA was just assigned the debt. I mean, that's what it appears like to me. Have you ever talked to a supervisor in the collections department of BOA?  Or has it always been a CSR?

Does the CA's letter say that their "client" is BOA?

1) have never spoke to a supervisor at BOA, I dont think. I cant remember how high I got because this was 1-2 years ago.

2)Letter from Assoc. Recovery Systems reads as follows:

ACCOUNT IDENTIFICATION

Re: FIA Card Services/Bank of America

Account **************XXXX/*******************YYYY     - (XXXX acct is the one I just used calling in, YYYY ACCT is the last 4 digits i recognize, but I beleive I was reissued a lost card and thats why its two accounts)

ARS Acct No: XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Balance: $3705.70

Dear Sir:

-Are you weary of talking to bill collectors

-Are you tired of getting Collection letters

-Do you want to resolve this once and for all?

Call us immediantly! We are willing to help  (.....) well consider all reasonable offers (.....) call us at XXXXXXXXX

Call us today to make and offer. Your acct is due to be returned to our client for possible further collection action. Time is limited so dont delay.

Sincerly,

NAME 

PHONE EXTENTION

Message 18 of 21
Lois5669
Frequent Contributor

Before negotiating with them(BOA), you need to know the SOL on this. If it is still within the SOL, I think the best course of action would be to explain to them why the account went into default to begin with and ask if they would allow you to have the account reopened and get it paid off.  If they will do that, pay off the account and the GW them.

If SOL has past, you would have better grounds to negotiate. Either a PIF for deletion or a PFD for a agreed upon amount.

Again, I'm hoping someone else will chime in with suggestions. But, I think BOA does own the debt...not any CAs. I wouldn't talk to that CA at all until  you find out what is going on

Message 19 of 21
jibbs1082

Lois: Very good advice, I would assume the SOL has NOT passed because this account has a charge off date of Feb. 2010.

Would I be correct in saying that?

Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.