Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with Collection Agency call

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Help with Collection Agency call

I received a phone call today from a collection agency about an account from my college stating I owed them $800. I have been paying this off via the school but I guess they went ahead and threw me to the collection agency. Anyway, they wanted the $800 in full today, which there is no way in hell I could do that with a new baby and little income. I asked if I could make a small payment maybe $50 for April then May- September do $150ish. I was talked down to like I was trash. I was finally told to contact them back within 24 hours with a payment and my bank account information. If I call them back tomorrow what do I say? I literally cannot pay more than $50 until next month.

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Help with Collection Agency call

If you are paying the school as agreed, I would start by contacting them and verify that they passed it off to a collection agency.

It sounds fishy to my that they would sell a debt that you've been making payments on.

Message 2 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I  hate to hear stories of CA abusing consumers.   Scare tactics are not uncommon, but they are abusive and prey on fear.

If it were me, I'd take a deep breath, call them at a time that is covenient for you and you're feeling calm, and then offer them a payment plan for the entire debt taht works for *you*.   Maybe its only $50 a month until the debt is paid off.   If they start trying to scare you again, just come back to the mantra "this is all I can afford right now, and is what I'm offering."   Once you have an agreement, have them confirm the same in writing before you make a payment.   At the same time (and this is where others may want to weigh in), try to get an agreement with them to limit the on-going interest/fees they're going to want to charge you.  And also try to get them to cease any reporting actions pending a PIF of the arrangement you make.

Bottom line:  they want the money, as quickly as they can get it, and they're going to work with you to set up a payment plan.  You're not entirely without leverage right now.

Message 3 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I contacted them but the only person I was able to speak with told me that chances are the debt was all due by the end of last month, which I didn't know. So they probably sold it to the agency for the remaining amount. It's BS. If I made a payment to the school then it wouldn't go towards the collection would it?

Message 4 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks! It was pretty scary because I explained to her that I could not afford any real amount right now but I could try $50 to get her to leave me alone. I didn't even think of the interest fees that would be tacked on each month now. I wonder how high that would be. With her telling me that I have 24 hours to call her back, was that true or do I really have more time? She kept asking where I live, address, and names of people I know. I didn't tell her anything besides my address because she already had that information.. I'm sure it is already going to be on my credit report so I should calm down, guess I am just afraid of owing a lot more than I do now if I don't do something about  it.

Message 5 of 18
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Sounds fishy asking for banking info. Did they identify themselves? Ask them to send you a verification of the debt by mail. Never confirm such personal information with any debt collector over the phone. Social Security number, banking information, and other personal details can be collected and used to steal your identity.

Message 6 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh and also, I had read somewhere I shouldn't give her my bank information because often they attempt to take out more than you agreed on. Should I buy checks and pay that way? 

Message 7 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

She told me her name and told me she was with a collection agency, which I cannot remember that name. But she knew the amount I owed the school, my address, my last 4, but was very pushy to get my bank infomation. She asked me multiple times after I told her that I did not have the money at the moment. I just checked my school account and it does say "delinquient" and that the amount was due a few months ago, yet they took a payment last month.. Should I wait until I receive a letter in the mail? Or would that letter state I owe the full amount instead of payments?

Message 8 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Obviously I am brand new to all of this. I have had collections years ago but they were medical bills and I sort of never cared to pay them off but they were taken off my report a few years ago without me paying them. I was young and didn't even care about my score at the time. But I don't recall ever getting phone calls like this over those collections. They were just on my report as not paid and of course after the 7 years they were taken off even without payment. But I don't think this will go in that direction.

Message 9 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do not give them your bank account information.

If you decide to call back tell them exactly what you CAN do, and if you get the same rep, ask for another rep, and inform them that verbal abuse is a violation of FDCPA, and it will not be tolerated. Inform them you are recording the call and any further verbal abuse will be grounds for a potential lawsuit for violation of FDCPA. If they refuse to work with you tell them to have a nice day and you will contact them again when your situation improves. If they continue to call you, send them a CMRRR letter informing them that all phone calls are to be considered inconvenient, and you will only communicate further via US Mail.

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.