cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with Equifax

tag

Help with Equifax

My husband has a mortgage note through Wells Fargo, I am NOT on the note.  About six months ago (when the note was transfered to Wells Fargo) they began reporting it on my CR.  I called CS and told them it was not my debt - within a few days I received a letter verifying that I would be removed from the account, and that they had notified the CR agengies.  TR and EX removed the account within a week or so after that.  This was in early Feb of 2011.  Since then I have disputed the account with Equifax 3 times - each time it comes back as verified.  This last time I even faxed the letter that I had received from Wells Fargo, stating that it was not my account, and still it comes back as verified.  What do I do now??

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
cw81
Frequent Contributor

Re: Help with Equifax

Hi I think you can request a method of validation  (MOV)  its  your right under FCRA section 611 (a) (7). The credit bureau must give you this information within 15 days of the request.  You right a letter  to  EQ  asking how they validated  this specifying the FCRA

Or   the more direct method  using a 623 letter to dispute directly with Wells  the  Data furnisher or as we say here the OC .

§ 623. (a)(8) ABILITY OF CONSUMER TO DISPUTE INFORMATION DIRECTLY WITH FURNISHER   

Message 2 of 7
fused
Moderator Emeritus

cw81, are you having technical difficulties with posting?

Message 3 of 7

I will try that! 

The problem isn't with Wells Fargo - they've already said it wasn't my debt and that they were requesting it be removed.  Does it help any to ask them to submit that request again?

Message 4 of 7

one more ? - do I send it to the dispute fax # or somewhere else?

Message 5 of 7
cw81
Frequent Contributor

It shouldn't hurt to have them send it again   If that fails you might want to use the 623 letter to force some action.  I am not sure I understand your question about the fax dispute number

Message 6 of 7
guiness56
Epic Contributor

If you have already disputed with the CRA on 3 occasions for the same debt I don't see another one helping at all.  They may even tell you it is frivolous.

I would have the OC audit the records that are sent to the CRAs to update the CRs.  Even if they told them to delete the erroneous entry and they did not update the tape it will still be re-reported.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.