Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with Fingerhut/Jefferson Capital and First Premier

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Help with Fingerhut/Jefferson Capital and First Premier

I had a Fingerhut account closed Aug 2014. The account shows as a charge off on the "Accounts" section. As for "Collections", it shows as Jefferson Capital with a $10 smaller balance. So the same account is showing twice in different ways. All of this on Equifax. Jefferson Capital shows the same on TU.

My First Premier account lists as a charge off with the account still open on Equifax. TU lists it as closed and charged off.

I'm asking because I have been reading about the FTC compucredit ordeal. I don't really understand it or know if my accounts would qualify.
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Help with Fingerhut/Jefferson Capital and First Premier

It is perfectly proper for both an original creditor and collection to both appear in the consumer's credit report for the same debt.

The OC reporting represents the history on the OC account.

The collection reports the additonal fact that a debt collector became involved in attempts to collect on the debt, eiher as an assigned agent of the OC,or as the owner of the debt.

The old FTC vs Compuserve consent decree did not pertain in any way to this common and legitimate practice.

As for whehter an account is listed as Open or Closed, if it is a credit card and has been charged-off, you almost assuredly no longer have use of the card, and thus it should be reported as closed.  That is not a substantive issue that effects scoring.  You can certainly dispute its accuracy and have it updated to show closed, but such a dispute would not affect scoring or continued showing of the account.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Help with Fingerhut/Jefferson Capital and First Premier

Thanks! The Jefferson Capital is for $590. I could pay that and I should... I just like to explore the legality of the situations.
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.