Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with Goals 2016

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Help with Goals 2016

Hello,

I'm new to the board as of 1am this morning, so please excuse me if I post improperly.

I am 25 and for most of my adult life, I have tried to avoid the use of credit (poor financial examples growing up, fear of debt) with the exception of a cell phone and $3k in student loans. A couple of years ago, I found that a very close family member had been abusing my credit and just recently, I have successfully (last removed this week) disputed all fraudelent activity. This has left me with a low score: CK reports 510 TU, 515 EQ, EX reports 626, Fico is 550. 

My husband who also has recently established credit (opened a CC with Citi in 2014 with a limit of $1k, score 670), has added me to his card. This caused me to gain 54 points, but we both are unsure what to do next to continue to increase our credit scores.

My credit profile currently:

510 TU, 515 EQ, EX reports 626, Fico is 550

6 Inquiries

No collections

Student loan: $3K

AU on Citi Thank you: $1K CL, 50% utilization with plans to pay down to 10% next week

Please advise me on what is the best move to make next?

I also have a fraud alert on my reports, should this be removed before applying?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Help with Goals 2016

anyone?

Message 2 of 8
AutoBot
Established Contributor

The FICO scores are a little low. Have you considered a secured credit card?

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would suggest first just taking some time to read this forum - read every single message and reply, read the stickies at the top. spend at least the next week reading here.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you both very much for responding! I am considering applying for either CapOne, Citi secured, or a credit union.

I will continue to read through all posts.
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Thank you both very much for responding! I am considering applying for either CapOne, Citi secured, or a credit union.

I will continue to read through all posts.

All three of those would probably be good moves.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Any suggestions for my husband?

He currently has 670 fico, $1k CL (1.5 years old) with citi thank you preferred, and auto loan which is current. Nothing else on his CR.
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One would be good. Try the prequal first and see if the Venture or Quicksilver show up. If not apply for their Platinum and Quicksilver One cards. Discover would probably be a good choice as well, they seem to like thin files. A Barclays Reward MC would also be a good chice.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.