cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with Midland - they reneged on settlement agreement!

tag
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

Re: Help with Midland - they reneged on settlement agreement!

@gdale6 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

No response yet from Midland on my complaint but I did notice today that they zeroed out the balance on Experian.  Hmmm, wonder if that's a sign of things to come?

Possibly, Midland is always in the crosshairs of the feds, they had to pony up a large settlement last year but it hasnt seemed to cool their thirst for erroneous reporting and other egregious flagrant violations of law. You are in the right here.

Musta been why my only account with them fell off all reports earlier than the others.

Signature needs updating
Message 11 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

So now Midland is showing this account balance as $0 on all three bureaus but on some of them they remarked settled for less than full balance.  Annoying.  They still haven't responded to the CFPB complaint yet either.  In that, I requested they show these as paid in full, with $0 balance, and removal.  Will be interesting to see what their response to CFPB will be.  While my immediate concern was getting this to show as paid for my clearance, I am not going to let this go.  They flat out tried to get over $600 more from me after I already paid them!  My experience with this company so far just makes me want to give them no quarter.

Message 12 of 20
emd0007
Established Member

I sure wish they would hurry up and take their garbage name off of my credit reports. We settled our differences about three weeks ago via email (collection attempt was a joke, I don't think Sherlock Holmes with 2 years time could have proved I owned that account) but they still are hanging their ugly heads around my CR.

Message 13 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@emd0007 wrote:

I sure wish they would hurry up and take their garbage name off of my credit reports. We settled our differences about three weeks ago via email (collection attempt was a joke, I don't think Sherlock Holmes with 2 years time could have proved I owned that account) but they still are hanging their ugly heads around my CR.

I hear ya! I have another account on my CR from them that I think they attached to me based on name only. Totally different address, in a state I've never lived, etc. What do they keep doing? Saying the account is verified. So frustrating because now I have to do ALL of the work (e.g. police reports, etc) to get this thing off when anyone with common sense would KNOW it wasn't mine. So they are 2 for 2 with me. They reneged on my settlement agreement and put something that isn't mine on my CR. Not a very good company.
Message 14 of 20
emd0007
Established Member

They are a circus compared to other places like Gatestone I've dealt with. I actually felt like the bully lol. 

Message 15 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@emd0007 wrote:

They are a circus compared to other places like Gatestone I've dealt with. I actually felt like the bully lol. 

Yeah, I've been very unimpressed with them thus far. The funny thing is in a life many, many years ago, I worked for a new startup Resurgent Capital as their DBA. I was able to get firsthand knowledge of just how little information they have and how they will attach something with the smallest and weakest amount of evidence. I thought the Resurgent database was a piece of junk (not my fault - they bought it from a Russian group!) but I think Midland might actually be worse than them - which was really very bad.
Message 16 of 20
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

I would immediately file an action in small claims court.  You need the courts to get to the facts and force a determination.

That alone may be enought to prompt their compliance.

If you do go to trial, it will open up your access to pre-trial discovery of their internal, relevant records.

Message 17 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@RobertEG wrote:

I would immediately file an action in small claims court.  You need the courts to get to the facts and force a determination.

That alone may be enought to prompt their compliance.

If you do go to trial, it will open up your access to pre-trial discovery of their internal, relevant records.

For me, I have the short term goal of getting my security clearance reinvestigation done so documentation is key for me in dealing with them - per my security officer. However, once that is done and behind me, I am going to pursue them because it's just plain wrong what they're doing and I imagine I'm only one of many cases out there who are suffering from their negligence. I fully admitted AND paid the bill I had due to them but between their trying to get more money out of me for a paid debt and saddling me with something that isn't mine? Yeah, I'm a very not happy camper! I should be a cautionary lesson because I foolishly thought since I didn't use any credit, I wouldn't have an issue. HA! I had way too many medical collections and this Midland stuff on there that tanked my score. I won't be foolish like this again but it definitely would have been easier to deal with if I had followed up, been diligent about checking my CR, and not ignoring it.
Message 18 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh and just another quick note, I have to go through the entire complaint process (e.g. AG, BBB, CFPB, directt dispute, etc) before I can file in South Carolina, where I live. I'm currently waiting on the results of my CFPB complaint. So, it's always good to check state law before filing suit because I would hate for it to be thrown out due to not following the process per defined state law.
Message 19 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

UPDATE:

I received the results of my CFPB response.  They (Midland), of course, made it sound like I was the one in the wrong and they didn't do a thing wrong.  YET, they agreed to consider the account paid in full and will remove it from all three credit bureaus.  So, success!!

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.