cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with NCS.

tag
cmabb23

Help with NCS.

I moved out of an apartment complex on 11-1-2011 with a balance of 400.00 to be paid starting on 12-1-2011, I made the first payment as well as all the other payments totalling 400.00. I pulled my free credit report a couple of weeks ago and there is a collection account from National Credit Systems on behalf of the apartment complex for 696.00. I called them and they said they would update that I had made payments totalling 400.00 but I would still owe 296.00 for damages. I never received any information on damages and thought that the matter was closed, don't they have to update payment as it's made? I made the first payment on 12-1-2011 and the collection account was opened on 12-27-2011, does that seem weird I have the money order to prove all payments. I made the last payment on 6-1-2012 and yet they didn't update any payment information until just a few weeks ago when I brought it to their attention, is there anything I can do or were there any violations here?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
madmann26
Valued Contributor

Re: Help with NCS.

Talk to the apartment complex and see if they can give you an itemization from the move out walkaround, providing they did one. If not, the charges are frivalous at best.

As for NCS itself, I'll ping you a contact that I used to get my paid CA removed.

Current FICO 9 Scores

Message 2 of 4
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Look in your states Tenant/Landlord laws.  In some states it is illegal to assess damages without a walkthrough without your self and the manager.   Or they have to give you a written itemization, etc.

Message 3 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

As an alternative to getting an itemization from the OC, you could have requested such an itemization via the debt collector had you included such a request in a timely DV.

The courts have held that a debt collector, if requested, must, as part of adequate debt verification, present sufficient itemization to permit a consumer to determine whether the amount of an asserted debt complies with FDCPA 808(1) by being specifically authorized under the original agreement with the creditor, or otherwise permiited by law.

You could then evaluate the specific amount in question, and determine whether it was specifiied as a collectivle amount in your lease, or whether permitted under your state laws.

I presume they sent dunning notice back when, and thus any DV would now be untimely?

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.