cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with Portfolio Recovery Associates

tag
dockers

Help with Portfolio Recovery Associates

Hello, I have been struggling trying to repair my credit for the past several months but have just started to repair my credit using tips suggested by these forums, mainly I have been trying to get a PFD to go through with Portfolio Recovery Assosciates from a sold JCP cc debt for $1287 dollars. I have only sent 2 emails over the past two months, and nothing physical, but I have yet to get a response. I have offered 75% of the total, but am definitely willing to go the full price if needed.

After a nasty layoff 2 years and a repo of my brand new Audi and a truck load of charge-offs, it's been a struggle getting back on my feet and out of the 500's. Last year I finally got another job making around 70k annually and have managed to pay off the repo and most of the remaining balances on the charge-offs. However this collection remains and is currently the only Collection derog on my reports.

From what I have researched on here this collection agency isn't an easy one to deal with, and from my phone calls to them they seem really shady. I spoke to a lady saying they ONLY handle payments over the phone and THEN they send out papers. I can't believe any of that.

TLDR; I'm looking to see if anyone has had any success with Portfolio recovery Associates PFD's. IF anyone has had success with any email addresses or physical addresses, it would be greatly appreciated if you could send me a PM!

Thanks so much for your time!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Therrera0001
New Visitor

Re: Help with Portfolio Recovery Associates

They tell you that you have to make a payment on the phone so you can do a check by phone. The company is not trying to scam you and this is a way that they know they will get their payment.  They will secure your information in the system .  If it is your account, they purchased it and they are now asking you to pay it off either in full or sometimes they let you do a settlement.  You can mail in your payment if you want and they have to accept it.  Once your payment is posted, ask for a copy of your proof of payment.  The company will then report it to all the 3 credit bureaus.  Hope this helps! :-)

Btw.. what is PFD?

Message 2 of 7
Dynamo24
New Contributor

PFD is pay for delete. Also, I have heard of PRA settling with consumers then starting the debt over saying it is NOT paid in full. This screws you over big time. I would make sure that you get everything in writing. Send your settlment offer certified return receipt and include that they will make the account paid in full, not "pain less". They do this to screw you over. Be careful. Just send them an offer, much less than 75% if I may add, more like 30% and go from there. You have time, they probably aren't planning to sue you. Just use sample letters you find on here and have someone review them for you. 

Message 3 of 7
Dynamo24
New Contributor

And yes, they are trying to scam you. The above poster is incredibly incorrect and it seems shady what they are saying. If you get nothing in writing, you have NO proof that you paid them and they can still come after you for the original amount. NEVER EVER EVER make a payment over the phone, with a credit  card, or a personal check. Do everything in cashier's check or money order and through the mail. Stop talking to them on the phone. 

Message 4 of 7
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

As much as I utterly despise PRA, they are one of the CAs that do tend to go by the rules...  (That left a bad taste in my mouth).  The person that told you on the phone that they only do phone payments is incorrect.  You can deal with them by mail, I know, I did.  

I did finally manage to remove them because I proved they had re-aged the DoFD from the OC.  So yes, they do make mistakes, and I capitalized.  Smiley Wink

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 5 of 7
Dynamo24
New Contributor

@Shogun when you delt with them were you able to settle for less than what you owed? If so, how long did that process take?

Message 6 of 7
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

I actually paid them the full amount at the time that they sent the first notice.  It was a valid debt from an old HSBC account.  However, they had re-aged the DoFD from the OC's.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.