Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with Sterling United please!

tag
NCRunner
Valued Member

Help with Sterling United please!

Good morning!

I have a $340 collection with Serrling United Portfolio that was opened 7/12/2012.  The telephone number listed on my credit report is out of service, none of the phone numbers I have found on the Internet are in service, and the website is no longer. What am I supposed to do now?!  I just want to pay and be done with this. Does anyone have any advice?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Shokk
Established Contributor

Re: Help with Sterling United please!

Its normal rule not to dispute valid debt.  However, in this case, that's exactly what I would do.  It's quite possible they are out of business and never removed their trade line.  You've made the effort to reach them and are not able to.  Dispute with all 3 CRAs, and I'd be willing to bet they won't respond.

I don't know my start scores, but low 500s. 6/2013

2/19/15
EQ FAKO - 638
EX FICO - 665
TU FICO - 697
Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Help with Sterling United please!

I would agree with Shokk.  They have the obligation to promptly update any reported info so as to maintain its current accuracy.

Disputes directed to a CRA extend, per FCRA 611(a), to the accuracy of any information of record in your credit file.

The furnisher of the information additionally has a requirement per FCRA 623(a)(2) to prompltly update any information so as to maintain its current accuracy.

I would, under your circumstances, assert that you do have a legitimate basis for dispute, with resolution either being cirrection of their contact address or deletion of their reported collection.  The CRA would be required to conduct a reinvestigation of that inaccuracy and delete if they cannot obtain any reasonable basis to verify the current reporting or update so as to overcome its inaccuracy.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.