Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with Unpaid Tax Lien

tag
ccpat
Frequent Contributor

Help with Unpaid Tax Lien

I have 2 federal tax liens that are listed as Public records.  One for $23,5559 and the other for $8,341.   Both filed in 2010.  I have set up a payment plan (manual) but have not paid all as agreed.  I know.....been lucky that no further actions have been taken. On all credit reports.  Killing my scores.  Questions:

1.  Should I set up Auto Pay and then wait for a few months to file a 12277?

2.  Should I file a 12277 now?  

3.  If I do file a 12277 are there some reasons that are discharged faster than others?

I need to do something before they start holding wages. 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
stellar
Established Contributor

Re: Help with Unpaid Tax Lien

I think you should contact a tax attorney to avoid any unforeseen consequences.  I think they can possibly settle for less than owed.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ccpat wrote:

I have 2 federal tax liens that are listed as Public records.  One for $23,5559 and the other for $8,341.   Both filed in 2010.  I have set up a payment plan (manual) but have not paid all as agreed.  I know.....been lucky that no further actions have been taken. On all credit reports.  Killing my scores.  Questions:

1.  Should I set up Auto Pay and then wait for a few months to file a 12277?

2.  Should I file a 12277 now?  

3.  If I do file a 12277 are there some reasons that are discharged faster than others?

I need to do something before they start holding wages. 

They have the "Fresh Start Program"  but you have to be on Autopay to have it removed. 

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

They like autopay. If you aren't meeting your obligations they are less likely to work with you unless you update them on your situation. If you haven't make sure those year's were filed correctly.
Message 4 of 7
elim
Senior Contributor

I also have a 2010 Fed Lien.

Can i ask what tax year these are from?  The taxes run out of SOL 10 years after date filed.  They will remain on your reports after that but it may be worth the thousands of dollars saved.  I am up to 725 score with the lien.  I make a payment every month but will not get my lien paid off by the time it runs out of SOL,  therefor I won't be eligible for fresh start program.

Message 5 of 7
ccpat
Frequent Contributor

Tax year was 2007 but I'll never have this paid off in 2 years.  I think I will get on Auto Pay and take a chance on getting the lien removed by filling out 12277.  I would at least like a chance to refinance my house and take out extra on the loan to pay it off.  Can't refi or do anytning now.  

Message 6 of 7
elim
Senior Contributor

@ccpat wrote:

Tax year was 2007 but I'll never have this paid off in 2 years.  I think I will get on Auto Pay and take a chance on getting the lien removed by filling out 12277.  I would at least like a chance to refinance my house and take out extra on the loan to pay it off.  Can't refi or do anytning now.  

Yeah that's good if you can fresh start it for sure. I was out of the country and found out about the lien early last year.  

The payoff is HUGE now.  But, sometimes.... that's just the way life is    :]

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.