cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with Verizon wireless

tag
Khh2011

Help with Verizon wireless

Hello everyone!  i am new here but I've been reading a lot.  We are applying for a mortgage in 6 months and I'm trying to clean up my credit ASAP.  My question is about a Verizon wireless account.  I went over minutes one month and they charged $325.  I didn't have the money at the time (this was in 2007 or 2008).  Now it's reporting on my credit report by Verizon as 120 + days late.  I called to work out a deal and they threatened to sell to a collection agency if I don't pay it.  My mortgage broker said not to pay it because it is old and it won't matter for FHA.  What should I do?  If they do sell it to a CA won't it reactivate it?  I can't afford to lose many points because I have a 637 mid score (pulled by lender) although this was before I paid off my credit cards from 55% util to 3%.  Please help!  Thanks so much!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

Re: Help with Verizon wireless

Send a GW to execuative relations, but by simply paying it, it will not improve your score.

So if a GW does not work, and the broker says not to touch it, then don't

The damage is already done to your score and by selling it to a CA may or may not impact your score further.

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 2 of 4
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

I would imagine a nice score bump on util alone. 

Message 3 of 4
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

It shouldn't factor into util since it would not be a revolving account.  My suggestion would be to follow your broker's advice.  If they make you pay at closing, then do that.  After your mortgage is done, I'd send a PFD.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.