Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with a original creditor

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Help with a original creditor

I looked everywhere on this board but could not find the answer.

1. Can I request a debt validation from an original creditor (Mine is SpringLeaf Financial, which the account is currently closed and pass the 4yr SOL).
  2. If yes what type of letter should I send, I live in Texas and the original creditor is in California where I us to live.

Please any help would be greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Help with a original creditor

There is no provision under either the FCRA or the FDCPA for debt validation with an original creditor.

Debt validation per se only appplies to debt collectors.

Original creditors validation is separately provided via the terms in your account agreement with them, and regular billing statements.

Thus, no separate provision for debt validation is provided under federal law.

If, and only if, they have reported to a CRA and you can provide basis for a showing of a specific inaccuracy in their reporting, then you can file a dispute under the FCRA rather than a DV request.  A formal dispute under the FCRA then requires a reasonable investigation, and response within 30'ish days.

However, a simple statement per se of request for debt validation is not an adequate dispute.

Do you have a specific inaccuracy in their reporting?

Is the debt, in fact, not valid?

If not valid, then provide your documenttion in a dispute.

Message 2 of 8
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Good questions, and if yours, how much is the total debt?

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

The total debt is $1800. 

Message 4 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Is the debt valid?

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah it is

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I looked everywhere on this board but could not find the answer.

1. Can I request a debt validation from an original creditor (Mine is SpringLeaf Financial, which the account is currently closed and pass the 4yr SOL).
  2. If yes what type of letter should I send, I live in Texas and the original creditor is in California where I us to live.

Please any help would be greatly appreciated.

If the debt is valid then what would be the reason for your dispute?
Message 7 of 8
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Ok if the debt is valid then you want to try and work out a PFD with the OC. You also want to try and settle this before a CA becomes involved

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/PFD-Q-amp-A-Examples-and-PFD-Success-Stories/...

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/PFD-Example-Letter/td-p/4519

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.