Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with a possible judgment.

tag
Lyssg
New Visitor

Help with a possible judgment.

I just have a question, I need to put a background on the story first. I'm divorced, I haven't lived with my ex husband in two years. I attended college for one semester back in 2006 and withdrew because I didn't like it there. Had no idea I owed them money but apparently I do. I was checking up in my speeding ticket case to see if they recieved my payment and entered it yet. But when I typed in my name something else came up saying Iowa this money college and a case has been filed against me for a good amount of money. In the entry', a summons was processed and I "recieved" that summons. I have never ever recieved anything regarding this case, and it's set for court in December. The address listed is my ex husbands residency and even if they gave it to him, he would never inform me. So what happens now? If I hadn't recieved that ticket, I would have never known about this.

OP, I split your post and moved it to rebuilding to give you a better chance of getting answers.  The thread you posted on was 5 years old.  I changed the Subject so feel free to make it what you wish.  guiness56, myFICO Moderator.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Help with a possible judgment.

Do you still live in the state?

First thing I would do is contact the court clerk and let them know you were never served and how you happened to find it.  See what you can do about it.

Second thing I would do is contact the school and find out why you owe them money.  If you do,  try to make some type of arrangements with them.  Ask them not to pursue the judgment.

Bottom line is if there ends up being a court date either in Dec or down the line, make sure you show up for it even if the school does make payment arrangements.  I have seen too many default judgments entered because the defendent didn't show up thinking the plaintiff would cancel it but never did.

Message 2 of 3
qd
Regular Contributor

Re: Help with a possible judgment.

@Lyssg wrote:

I just have a question, I need to put a background on the story first. I'm divorced, I haven't lived with my ex husband in two years. I attended college for one semester back in 2006 and withdrew because I didn't like it there. Had no idea I owed them money but apparently I do. I was checking up in my speeding ticket case to see if they recieved my payment and entered it yet. But when I typed in my name something else came up saying Iowa this money college and a case has been filed against me for a good amount of money. In the entry', a summons was processed and I "recieved" that summons. I have never ever recieved anything regarding this case, and it's set for court in December. The address listed is my ex husbands residency and even if they gave it to him, he would never inform me. So what happens now? If I hadn't recieved that ticket, I would have never known about this.

OP, I split your post and moved it to rebuilding to give you a better chance of getting answers.  The thread you posted on was 5 years old.  I changed the Subject so feel free to make it what you wish.  guiness56, myFICO Moderator.

Agree...contact court clerk and see if you can do anything there since you were never properly served.  Contact school to try and take care of it before it goes to court.  They should be able to dismiss the judgment before December if you come to some agreement with them.  Once you have a judgment, it can be a huge pain to try and have it removed from your record.  Whatever you can do now to make it 'never happen', the better off you will be.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.