Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with a recent REPO...PLEASE

tag
Fleurdelis28
New Contributor

Help with a recent REPO...PLEASE

Hello everyone,

I need some advice. I have a very recent repossession that is appearing as a collection item. The problem is that the balance is soo high ($10k) there is no way I can pay this off in a lump sum. I would need to make payment arrangements. But I read somewhere on here, can't remember where, that payment arrangements are not a good idea. And I fear that if I do work out a payment arrangements, the majority of those payments will go to interest/late charges, therefore taking it even longer to get it paid. What should I do? Everyone has been so helpful with my other questions and I'm finally starting to understand this.

Thanks

Starting Score: 538
Current Score: 555
Goal Score: 675

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Help with a recent REPO...PLEASE

We don't recommend it for a number of reasons. First off, paying over time only prolongs the pain with added interest, etc. Next, if you approach them with a payment plan if SOL had not expired, then they can, if they wanted to, reject the payment offer and sue for the full amount. In other words, approaching them within SOL wakes them up. When you are in a payment plan, depending on your state's laws, your SOL clock can restart with each payment. So, if a payment is missed, then they can sue for the full amount regardless of any settlement you made beforehand. Finally, paying over time eliminates the possibility of having the TL deleted inside the 7 years because they likely won't grant a deletion unless it is paid off.

If I had that reporting, I would rebudget my finances to decrease expenses and increase my income so as to rapidly save up the $10k as fast as possible, including selling off useless or unused stuff around the house via Craigslist or wherever or cash in savings or non-retirement investments. My goal would to be to have that $10k+ saved inside  of a year. Once I had that, then I would contact the CA via a DV to get them to verify the debt (assuming they owned it and are reporting that) and if they verified and I agreed, then I'd send a PFD for a one-time payment and offer a settlement of that $10k....maybe half. It depends on the CA. If SOL had already expired, then saving the full $10k would be unnecessary and would offer a lesser amount once I had it all saved.

Message 2 of 3
Fleurdelis28
New Contributor

Re: Help with a recent REPO...PLEASE

Thank you tremendously for the advice!

Starting Score: 538
Current Score: 555
Goal Score: 675

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.