Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with getting a judgement vacated

tag
ficophobic
Contributor

Help with getting a judgement vacated

I'm sure this question has been answered but I can't seem to find it.  How can I get a judgement vacated?  Is there a sample letter?  If I call, whom should I speak to and what should I say?

Starting Score: 501
Current Score: 529
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Help with getting a judgement vacated

Paid or unpaid?
Message 2 of 11
ficophobic
Contributor

It's paid

Message 3 of 11
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

What is the basis for pursuing vacature?

Vacature can be pursued based on a deficiency in the judgment itself, such as lack of service of notice on you, or based on having paid the judgment, and then requesting the court to vacate as a form of relied to the consumer.

Message 4 of 11
ficophobic
Contributor

Maybe I'm not using the right term.  I want it removed from my credit report.  Doesn't it affect my score?

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think is not clear.

1- You got a judgment against you?

2- Di you paid the collector the full debt?

from there they might help you.

If paid to the collector or debt owner I believe they/you have to file some paper to court to have the judgment mark as paid. Judgment are suposed to stay in your credit report for 7 years, but if paid I think they are sometimes ways to get it off the records...I assume you have an agreement with the debt collector or that. 

I am not expert, just trying to help.

Hope my info is right.

Message 6 of 11
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Judgemnts find their way into your credit report based on a search of public record information conducted by the CRAs.

They are not "reported" in the normal fashiion by a creditor or debt collector.

Thus, you have no furnisher to contact and request good-will deletion.

The CRAs dont grant good-will deletion of public record information.

The CRAs will only remove from your credit report if either you get the court to vacate the judgment itself, or if the judgment becomes excluded based on the credit report exclusion period having expired.  The credit report exclusion period for a civil judgment is at least 7 years from the date of entry of the judgment.

Message 7 of 11
jd403
Regular Contributor

I had two old state tax liens in maryland that I was able to get vacated/withdrawn and within 2 weeks of calling the State Comptroller and requesting it, they were deleted.  On each report I jumped about 50-60 points.

I had to send an email stating why i wanted it withdrawn/vacated.  It's a simple process.  Hope this helps

FICO 8: TU 716 EX, 718 EQ 721 (10/19/21)

Discover IT $10.5k, Citi AA $10.8k , Cap One QS - $6.3k, Amex Optima - $4k Kohl's - $3k, M-Life MasterCard $8k, Amex Delta Gold $16.5k
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Depends on your state, so contact the court.  I have 2 out of NJ and Motion to Vacate costs 100 bucks a pop.  Mine are unpaid but I never got the summons so I can vacate on that basis and file myour answer now.  Depending on the outcome you can contact the courts about what you can do.  It's definitely more than a letter, though. 

Message 9 of 11
CYBERSAM
Senior Contributor

@ficophobic wrote:

I'm sure this question has been answered but I can't seem to find it.  How can I get a judgement vacated?  Is there a sample letter?  If I call, whom should I speak to and what should I say?

Go to the same court house that issued a judgement against you. File to vacate the judgment, they are going to send a copy to the plaintiff and set a court date about 7 days from then. If they don't receive any objection from the plaintiff and majesty/judge except your request, then they'll grant you a vacated judgement paper that you can send it to 3 credit bureaus.

FYI you need to have a reason for your request, you can tell them your story or tell them, dispute has been satisfied and you are trying to refinance soon. To file for vacancy, your just going to front desk but for your hearing dress accordingly Smiley Wink

Good luck!

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.