Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with increasing score but stuck

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Help with increasing score but stuck

Hi!  My score is currently (roughly) 640 (up from 570 last year) so I appreciate the help in this community removing collection accounts and utilization to help it go up.  A lot has fallen off, as well.  My question is: I am currently stuck.  These are the baddies left on my report and all of them will not fall off until 2019-2020 and I am trying to get a mortgage in a year so would like to see what I can do sooner.

-Santander Auto: Repossession in 2012.  I know that this is the main thing bringing my score down.  I also have 6 lates reported on this,  I am currently in a payment plan with a law office for this.  The law office is not on my credit report or reporting anything.  I don't know what to do here at all.  I haven't contacted Santander but heard they do not budge in PFD or anything at all.  And if the law office isn't even on there, I don'yt want to get another nagative item by poking the bear.

-Navient Student loans: 10 lates from 2011 and 2012.  I wrote the office of cnosumer advocate at Navient twice and recieved the same response that they will not remove any lates.  I have been current for over 3 years and paid off over 20k in loans.  They won't budge at all.

That is it!  My utilization is 15% month to month and I have three credit cards with $3k total.  Is there anything else I can do at this point?  Keep writing Good will letters?  what do you do with a repossession?  Is it worth it to hire a company or lawyer to help?  Thank you all for your responses!

8 REPLIES 8
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

Re: Help with increasing score but stuck

Is the student loan federal or private? If it's federal then they are required by law to report the lates so GW letters won't work, you'll have to wait it out
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

It is a Private loan that was through Sallie Mae and transferred to Navient.

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a couple of lates on a closed/paid private loan with Navient that was also originally with Sallie Mae. I've tried everything in the world to get a goodwill but like you said they won't budge. I may try the saturation trick here soon. Check into the saturation technique.
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think that technique is a great idea.  Doesn't hurt to try it!  Thanks

Message 5 of 9
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

Have you tried only carrying one balance on your credit cards under 9% Utilization? Anytime you do this you will maximize your fico score
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I could definitely get to under 9%.  would you suggest always being under this number?

Message 7 of 9
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

Yes this is known as the sweet spot for fico scoring maximization. Only one account reporting less than 9 % every mth
Message 8 of 9
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

Unless you are planning on applying for new credit soon then you don't have to worry about keeping 1 card under 9%. Just keep the balances low so they can be paid quickly if necessary.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.