Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with increasing score

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Help with increasing score

Hi, I have been on for a while and got a lot of help from you wonderful people. I am asking for some advice again. My husband and I need to purchase a home by June because the home we are renting is not going to be available for rent after that. We have done a lot of work  to try to build up our score. My score seem to be moving a lot faster because my history is longer than my husband. 

Here is a little history, earlier on in life I did make some bad choices and screw my credit up before I got married. Did not attempt to clean my credit up until last  year. I did not have any open credit cards because of this. So I started working on my credit November of 2014 got baddies removed only left with 4 medical collections. Obtained 3 bank card and 1 store card at the advise of you wonderful people. My scores now are EQ 640, TU 718 and EX 618. My husband however is still trying to get up there, his EQ  571 TU 586 and EX 603. I did add him to my cards as AU, but those are new accounts opened in November. He obtained a FH and WF secured card on his own. Any advise as to what he can do to raise his score? All baddies was paid and remvd from his CR. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you for all of your great help.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Help with increasing score

He needs to have three cards of his own, the AU thing tends to 'muddy the water' in the eyes of many lenders. They see it as the persons score potentially not being representative of their behavior.

Message 2 of 8
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

He needs to have three cards of his own, the AU thing tends to 'muddy the water' in the eyes of many lenders. They see it as the persons score potentially not being representative of their behavior.

Agreed... I've never understood how AU could have any affect on someone's score.

So Mom gives her 18 year old daughter AU access on the Amex she's had for 25 years... and banks are just to assume that Mom's payment history is how her daughter will pay?  I don't get it.

Anyway, I've also read that FICO 08 doesn't put as much weight into AU accounts as previous versions so maybe I'm not alone in my thinking.

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your quick response. So he will need to get 2 more backcard? Any suggestions as what card he can try for with his scores? This would mean more HP... but would worth it. 

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd recommend Capital One Secured or Unsecured, and SDFCU secured, or maybe US Bank Secured.

Avoid the predatory vulture lenders like Credit One, First Premier, Open Sky, etc.

Hard Pulls are the leastof your worries at this point. They are a necessary inconvenience.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would agree, thank you so much for all of your help. I will get going with the ones you suggest

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

+1

I feel like Norman and GDale should get some honorary FICO points for helping me out so much. These boards are wonderful. 

@Anonymous wrote:

I'd recommend Capital One Secured or Unsecured, and SDFCU secured, or maybe US Bank Secured.

Avoid the predatory vulture lenders like Credit One, First Premier, Open Sky, etc.

Hard Pulls are the leastof your worries at this point. They are a necessary inconvenience.

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

+1

I feel like Norman and GDale should get some honorary FICO points for helping me out so much. These boards are wonderful. 

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm in! I NEED a few extra points right now!

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.