Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with old judgment

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Help with old judgment

An apartment filed a judgment in 11/2007. In Oklahoma a judgment expires after 5 years.  Can I file a motion to vacate after the 5 years based on the judgment expiring?  I want it off my credit and evidently the only way to do that is to vacate it or wait out the 7 years.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Help with old judgment

@Anonymous wrote:

An apartment filed a judgment in 11/2007. In Oklahoma a judgment expires after 5 years.  Can I file a motion to vacate after the 5 years based on the judgment expiring?  I want it off my credit and evidently the only way to do that is to vacate it or wait out the 7 years.

Generally you would have to have the motion vacated in order for it to drop from your credit reports.   Sometimes you can submit paperwork to do this ~ sometimes it must be done by the plantiff who filed the lawsuit that resulted in the judgement.

Also you need to check your state's laws to see if judgements can be renewed, sometimes they can be.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Help with old judgment

Yes, they can be renewed after 5 years.  I'm just going on the concept of them not renewing it.  Also, after the judgment they sent the debt to a collection agency.  In june 2010 I filed bankruptcy  (ch 13), and included the CA in the BK.  However, the court was never notified of the BK but the CA did write it off.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.