Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with recent collections…

tag
Salad77
Established Member

Help with recent collections…

Hi Everyone,

I am newbie to the forums (just registered today), but have been coming here religiously for several months to gain as much knowledge as possible while trying to put together a plan to repair my credit.. It is great to see so many people working together, helping one another and all working towards a common goal. Hopefully some day in the near future, when my adventure through this mess is over, I can help those that are in the same position I am in now with the experience I will have gained.  

After losing my job 12/2012 and a death in the family shortly after, my credit has become a total mess. I am looking for some guidance/suggestions on the best way to tackle all of my derogatory trade lines. I’ve read a lot about DV, MOV’s & PFD’s letters, but I’ve seen a few conflicting viewpoints so I’m not sure which is the best way to approach it, especially since it is still pretty recent (roughly 12-18 months old) & it is all my debt. My hope is to do whatever I can with help from anyone here to either pay, dispute, validate or whatever I need to do in order to hopefully get some sort of a resolution and (hopefully) get them deleted..  If paying them off is the best course of action then I am open to that, but wanted to seek out advice on the best way to handle this before I send out any letters or make any payment arrangements.  Do I start with DV, then pay them off if they are validated?

I also have a few Charge-Offs from credit cards that I couldn’t afford to pay on unfortunately…

The usual suspects First Premier, Merrick, Credit One, First National & Orchard. Will get to these after the collections.

The small silver lining in all this (gotta stay positive!) is I was able to salvage both of my Capital One cards and am current on them. I am in the process of paying them completely off, but I have those two cards as well as a lot good older history (Cars, Mortgages, CC’s etc) so I am confident when I take care of these collections/charge offs, I should hopefully see a decent boost. I am at a 526 (TU Score) now so I figure there is nowhere to go but up! 

I figured I would tackle the collections first and then go after the charge offs, but wasn’t sure if there is a method to that either..

Is it better to do one before the other? All at once? 

So sorry for the novel... Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Here is the info on my collections…

1. Credit Control Corp    (OC Cox Communications)

Date opened 3/29/13     last reported 4/29/13               Amount $114**

2. Credit Control Corp    (OC Cox Communications)

Date opened 3/29/13     Last reported 4/29/13              Amount $483**

3. Credit Control Corp    (OC Cox Communications)

Date opened 3/29/13     Last reported 4/29/13              Amount $531

# 1 & 2 are for equipment that I will be returning this weekend.

I will make sure to get a receipt or something in writing that shows all the equipment was returned.  # 3 is for the service.

4. Cach LLC                     (OC HSBC)

Date opened 8/15/13     Last reported 5/15/14              Amount $438

5. Portfolio Recovery      (OC HSBC)

Date opened 7/18/13     Last reported6/5/2014             Amount $452

6. Midland Funding         (OC T-Mobile)

Date opened 6/21/12     Last reported 5/19/14              Amount $111

7. I C System                    (OC San Diego Gas & Electric)

Date opened 2/11/14     Last reported 4/20/14              Amount $354       May try to call SDG&E to see if I can pay them directly...

8. Fin Credit Network     (OC Southern Cal Gas)

Date opened 7/15/13     Last reported 8/27/13              Amount $110       May try to call The Gas Company to see if I can pay them directly..

Thank you in advance to anyone for any help, guidance, suggestions and reading my novel..

I really appreciate anyone’s feedback.

Thank you!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Whitneyy
Valued Contributor

Re: Help with recent collections…

You already seem to be on the right track as far as how you're going to handle everything and the way you're going to do it. Goodwills are going to be your best friend in this situation. After getting everything squared off with everyone, I would start sending off letters to either have your tradelines deleted or updated to show positive payments only.

For your capital one account, I have seen that others have had success with an online chat to do this. Others, have not. I'm assuming it is hit or miss. Either way, I would try it.

Good luck! 

Remember, if you pay directly with the orginial creditor, ask them to pull the debt back from collections then DV it, and since the collection agency will have nothing else to collect on it will be deleted. 

GOAL - 700 FICO across the board!
Message 2 of 8
growing123
Regular Contributor

The experts need to confirm this, but I don't think the CA is allowed to ding you three times for the same account. Not sure if they'll recommend a direct dispute with the OC or disputing with the CRAs.

Good luck! You're on the right track!
Starting Scores - Mid 500s - 10/2013

EX 706 (FICO 9/15) | EQ 710 (FICO 9/15) | TU 716 (FICO 9/15)

Quicksilver $12.8K | Freedom $1.5k | Discover It $11.5k | VS $1.2k | AMEX BCE $10k | Fidelity AMEX $10k | US Cash+ $9k | Citi DC $6.6k
Message 3 of 8
Salad77
Established Member

Wow, I actually never thought of that..

It is one account that is hitting me 3 times. Hope you're right but I will definitely wait for an expert to confirm. 

Thanks!

Message 4 of 8
Salad77
Established Member

Thanks Whitney!

From what I have read Goodwill's definitely work and I think they will be a big help... May require multiple efforts but I know it will be worth it. 

And thanks for letting me know about paying off the original creditor.. Hopefully with a couple of these I can eliminate two derog's with one payment. 

Appreciate your help!

Message 5 of 8
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

Cox Communications will be a tough nut to crack removal-wise!Cat Happy

I had a past-due balance of $160+, I called up and paid it, but the person transposed a number and it went short for $1.11 somehow.  In my move and foot injury, I lost track of matching it up on my statement.

The $1.11 REPORTED to the Credit Bureau.  I called them, offered to pay and they said NO, we write off anything below a certain amount.  Refused to DELETE.

I took to FACEBOOK, was immediately contacted and he offered a deletion and provided me with a letter.

The $160 (which was paid to cox), was reported to the Bureau via EQUIDATA.  I called them last month and they offered to delete.   

Message 6 of 8
Salad77
Established Member

Thanks fish... Were you contacted by a representative from Cox or Equidata?

The reason I ask is I would like to try and pay Cox directly and if you have a contact there that would be a big help. 

Thanks again..

Message 7 of 8
SlyS13
Valued Member

how do you guys find them on facebook and get them to contact you? That is awesome and direct public response right there. Not to mention I bet its rather quick LOL

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.