Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with student loan

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Help with student loan

Hi all, I'm here in looking for some advice on how to handle this situation with this student loan. I'm currently in the market to buying a home but I have to resolve this issue cause its damaging my score. The loan current status is charged off unpaid and closed with the amount of 195.17 from Naviant. This loan has been on my  record since 2004 but still recording as delinquent (that's what hurting my score). I have no idea why it's still reporting as delinquent when the loan has been closed. Now just the other day I received a letter from another CA saying Naviant has sold off this debt and now it belongs to Allied interstate. Why?! According to annualcreditreport.com this loan is due to fall off in August this year. So at this point I just want to pay it off to get it done and over with. What my concerns are if I pay it will it show on my credit report for another 7 years from the day I made the payment or fall off in August? Do I still have to write DV/PFD letter to Allied? I don't know if this matters or not but I live in California so I think my statue of limitation is 5 years I think. At this point I just want to take care of this issue ASAP so I could start applying for my home loan. Any advice would deeply be appreciated!Smiley Happy thanks

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Help with student loan

Paying it does not reset the time for reporting. However mortgage companies usually want everything paid.
Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Help with student loan

Is the student loan insured or guaranteed by the U.S. Government?

If so, the normal credit report exclusion periods do not apply while the loan remains delinquent.

The period is extended under the provisions of the Higher Education Act,which also manadates required credit reporting.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.