Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with using my new credit card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Help with using my new credit card

I don't bother with paper statements - I go online and make multiple payments during the month. Right now my balances are high, but once I get them down I will utilize them like imperffect does.

Message 11 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jordanhand wrote:

I was recently approved for my first two credit cards the capital one quicksilver one card and the capital one platinum card. I know this might sound stupid but what is the proper way to use these cards? Ive never had cards before and Im just trying to establish some credit., Ive read so many different things; that I should carry and balance and then some people say I should never have a balance... The credit line for both cards is $300.00 I was also reading that I should use only 10% per month? So I should only ever charge $30.00 per month on this card? 

Thank you!

Use both of your cards esp the Quicksilver bcuz of the cash rewards but pay your card to $30(10%) before your card reports. I was always told keep a balance of 30% but I have been reading 10 is the magic number.  

Message 12 of 15
jordanhand
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@jordanhand wrote:

I was recently approved for my first two credit cards the capital one quicksilver one card and the capital one platinum card. I know this might sound stupid but what is the proper way to use these cards? Ive never had cards before and Im just trying to establish some credit., Ive read so many different things; that I should carry and balance and then some people say I should never have a balance... The credit line for both cards is $300.00 I was also reading that I should use only 10% per month? So I should only ever charge $30.00 per month on this card? 

Thank you!

Use both of your cards esp the Quicksilver bcuz of the cash rewards but pay your card to $30(10%) before your card reports. I was always told keep a balance of 30% but I have been reading 10 is the magic number.  

I guess what I'm trying to find out is when does it actually report. Is it going to report the balance as of my statement or after my statement due date when I've made a payment? 

Credit Karma~Equifax-643
Trans union- 627
Message 13 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jordanhand wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@jordanhand wrote:

Thank you!

I guess what I'm trying to find out is when does it actually report. Is it going to report the balance as of my statement or after my statement due date when I've made a payment? 

I called Cap1 and asked. My statement due date for two of my cards is on the 10th. They told me they report on the 18th. I pay my card down on the 9th and dont use it until after the 19th. It would report my balance as of the 18th and that would include any usage after my due date after I had made a payment.

Message 14 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can call them and find out exactly  when they report. The report day will be very close to the statement cut date, one or two days before or after. It may or may not coincide with your payment due date. On my cap one accounts the due date is about 4 days before the statement cut date.

Making sense yet?

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.