Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help?

tag
kneumann

Help?

I'm new here, so please bare with me..

I'm in need of help! Trying to recover from a low credit score from stupid mistakes I made when I was young. Current score is 549. My report shows old accts sent to collections, but they're all paid and closed. My car payment which has always been on time and a secures credit card I opened like a year ago and like an IDIOT I completely forgot about it (risky pregnancy, the baby in NICU- but hey creditors don't care) and went 200 days late. As soon as I realized I paid the balance in full, $129, but the acct had closed.

We make good money, hsve a savings, and would like to buy a house. But my score is holding us back. Feeling defeated and frustrated. Considering meeting with a credit professional in town, but before I spend the money, thought I'd ask for help here because you all seem so informative and successful!

Thanks in advance!
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
eric19k
Established Contributor

Re: Help?

Welcome and don't be frustrated.
Start with posting more information on negative entries.
Some collection fall off simply after dispute and some you need to be persistent and keep sending GW
TU Scores:
May 2014- 466
July 2014- 537
September 2014- 602
Goal Scores- 720 by March 2014
Message 2 of 8
Whitneyy
Valued Contributor

Hello and welcome. For the debts that have paid and closed, I would begin the goodwill process immediately. 

GOAL - 700 FICO across the board!
Message 4 of 8
kneumann

Don't hate me for the level of insight needed:/.. So, when I pay a collection am I supposed to dispute it? I thought you disputed when something was wrong? They show up on my report as paid and closed..

And the same goes for goodwill letters? I'll look through the forums for more info on those.

Thanks!!
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Disputes are for incorrect information - they go to the Credit Reporting Agencies (CRA's)

Debt Validation (DV's) go to collection agencies (CAs)

GoodWill letters go to anyone reporting paid negatives and lates payments

Pay for Deletions (PFD) go to CA's and Original Creditors (OC's )

Message 6 of 8
kneumann

So, I wouldnt dispute anything because nothing is incorrect.

Everything from collections, or showing up on my credit report is paid.

Should I attempt goodwill letters? go to a credit repair company? am i just totally screwed?

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Burned2manybridgesB4 wrote:

Good will letters are the way to go, here are some links that were posted about good will letters(GW letter) and other steps for you to take. 

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.