Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help!

tag
ShootingForTheStarsOr800
Valued Member

Help!

I recently applied for the Barclay Rewards card after gaining in credit from some issues in my youth. I received the declination letter stating it was because I had a previously charged off account with them. I never had an account with them. When I spoke to the Agent she said I had two UPromise cards that were opened in 2008 but closed in 2012. These cards were originally with Citi and then transferred to BofA and eventually closed in 2009. I see that Barclay took over these accounts in 2012, but by that time they had been already charged off and sent to collections/farmed off elsewhere. I didn't confirm anything on the phone and said I would look into my records. Any suggestions? She said they never pulled the CBs but just had the auto deny in their system.
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Help!

@ShootingForTheStarsOr800 wrote:
I recently applied for the Barclay Rewards card after gaining in credit from some issues in my youth. I received the declination letter stating it was because I had a previously charged off account with them. I never had an account with them. When I spoke to the Agent she said I had two UPromise cards that were opened in 2008 but closed in 2012. These cards were originally with Citi and then transferred to BofA and eventually closed in 2009. I see that Barclay took over these accounts in 2012, but by that time they had been already charged off and sent to collections/farmed off elsewhere. I didn't confirm anything on the phone and said I would look into my records. Any suggestions? She said they never pulled the CBs but just had the auto deny in their system.

This is an interesting case, and I'm curious what the answer is. I suspect that you're out of luck and will have to wait for them to fall off your report. I would be suprised if you were perma-banned for this. I'm also curious if you could negotiate a pay-for-delete on these charge-offs.

Message 2 of 6
Pway
Valued Contributor

When creditor's buy portfolio's they know the good and bad accounts that they are getting.  Yes you have been blacklisted from Barclay's until that account is settled or paid in full, and you will never know when they would let you back in.  It is going to take some time, depending on how long of a memory they have.  I had a charged off account with another lender that was acquired by BOA, each and everytime I applied for a BOA card the main reason for denial was I had an account in collections with them.

Thank you for the wealth of knowledge I have learned from these forums. I am logging off as of November 9, 2022. I wish everyone great success.
Message 3 of 6
ShootingForTheStarsOr800
Valued Member

I guess the thing that is crazy to me is that the account had been transitioned to and bought from BofA to another creditor in 2010 - 2 years prior to Barclay purchasing the UPromise accounts. It shouldn't at all have been associated with Barclay. The baddies fall off next year, but it is definitely frustrating.
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Pway wrote:

When creditor's buy portfolio's they know the good and bad accounts that they are getting.  Yes you have been blacklisted from Barclay's until that account is settled or paid in full, and you will never know when they would let you back in.  It is going to take some time, depending on how long of a memory they have.  I had a charged off account with another lender that was acquired by BOA, each and everytime I applied for a BOA card the main reason for denial was I had an account in collections with them.

I'm curious... Will you be doing anything to try and correct your situation with BoA? 

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ShootingForTheStarsOr800 wrote:
I guess the thing that is crazy to me is that the account had been transitioned to and bought from BofA to another creditor in 2010 - 2 years prior to Barclay purchasing the UPromise accounts. It shouldn't at all have been associated with Barclay. The baddies fall off next year, but it is definitely frustrating.

Will you try to do a pay for delete so you can obtain credit with Barclay in the future? Or will you forego trying to get credit with Barclay and look to other lenders?

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.