Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Helpful Capital One App info

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Helpful Capital One App info

For all of us rebuilders out here, just thought I would share some info about Capital One. I apped for a platinum card, and immediately upon approval, I apped for the quicksilver one. I had previously applied for it about 28 days prior but was declined at that time.  So again I was immediately declined, without them even pulling my credit. Now I know why. Capital one likes you to space your applications out 30 days apart. So I reapplied too soon on the heels of the platinum approval. It kinda sucks because that means you can't get 2 cards on one batch of credit pulls, but it's their thing. Just thought I would share and maybe save someone the depressing feeling of instant denial of credit. I planned on gardening for 6 months, but I guess in 30 days I'll go on and app again, to give me the optimal 3 credit cards for credit rebuilding. 

Also fyi...if you get a secured card, and add additional deposits later, brace yourself for the 0 day hold. No way to get around that. To avoid holds of varying days depending on your payment amount, use bill pay through your bank. This is all straight from the horses mouth, Cap1 customer service. Hope this helps someone!

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
bstone
Frequent Contributor

Re: Helpful Capital One App info

While this may be the case sometimes, I was approved for the Platinum and QS cards a week or two apart. My wife was approved a few days apart.
NFCU Rewards - $18,000, NFCU Signature - $18,000, NFCU LOC - $15,000, Care Credit - $7,700, Lowe's - $6,400, Capital One QS - $5,000, Walmart - $5,000, Amazon - $4,000
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

My wife and I were both approved for the QS Visa and Venture on the same day and same credit pull.

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I guess it's a ymmv thing. I suppose with the lower scores and multiple apps they see more risk than with someone who already has some established credit.

Message 4 of 10
NichelleN
Established Contributor

I applied and was approved for 2 cap1 cards on the same day. At the time, my scores were low 600's.

More than enough credit.
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

That must be the dividing line. My scores are not in the 600s yet. And I still have a lot of baddies. I think its great that y'all got 2 off the same pull. But clearly not everyone will, and according to cap1, this is why. At least in my case. For someone who us just starting their rebuild with low scores, denials can be crushing. I just thought this info might help someone in the same boat as me, scores below 600 and a lot of baddies reporting.
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
That must be the dividing line. My scores are not in the 600s yet. And I still have a lot of baddies. I think its great that y'all got 2 off the same pull. But clearly not everyone will, and according to cap1, this is why. At least in my case. For someone who us just starting their rebuild with low scores, denials can be crushing. I just thought this info might help someone in the same boat as me, scores below 600 and a lot of baddies reporting.

I agree crazed. The first set of 2 cards I got from Cap1 I got a day apart and it cost me 2 sets of pulls. But my starting limits were $3000/$2000. My wife's starting limit was only $500, so only did 1 card for her. I have a feeling they wouldn't approve a 2nd one that day.

That said, she was able to get 2 higher limit cards with them before I was, a $3000 QS Visa and a $10k Venture. That was just over a month after getting her first $500 limit card with them. There is hope, just take the time to work on your scores.

I know how crushing it can be to be told no. That's why getting the 'Yes' is so nice. Smiley Happy Keep up your good work, it will happen!

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

My scores were low 600s when I was denied for qs1 and plat on july 20th.  I was approved on july 22nd for a secured.  Applied again for qs1 on august 3rd, auto denied for applying within 30 days (july 20th).  Late august, I reconned qs1 and was approved by eo.  So 9 hps total.

Message 8 of 10
damnedanddetermined
Established Contributor

Im not so sure if CapOne "likes" spacing apps 30 days apart....I appt for the plat MC on thursday and appt again for the quicksilver the very next day....approved for both and one pull.

Message 9 of 10
RandomSpirit
Regular Contributor

I apped for Quick Silver and Venture back to back.  (the preapprovals showed I was preapproved for several of their cards) Both  cards approved on same set of pulls. But my scores were like 770 average at the time.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.