Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Helping My Friend Build Credit

tag
wilmer007
Contributor

Helping My Friend Build Credit

So i was talking with a friend today and he mentioned that he would like to build his credit up so i told him i would help him. I had him register on sites that give free FICO and Vantage Score in front of me so that i can see what his credit reports had to get an idea. Come to find out he has absolutely no history whatsoever. No credit cards, loans, etc... ever, and HPs were the only things he had in his report. He must have had at least 6-8 HP in 2-3 years. He said most of them were because he was desperate to build credit and no one would approve him. so the first thing i told him was to stop generating HPs and that i was going to help him along the way and that if he would listen to me he would get good credit in no time.

So now after that i told him that he needed to get a Secured CC, i explained what a Secured CC is and how it works. so i looked online for the best Secured CC and noticed the Discover It Secured was one of the top. i quickly picked up on the fact that Discover also does SPs when it comes to CLI so this is going to help him big time because he will cut down on so many HPs.

However i noticed that Secured CC requires a checking/savings account and he doesn't have one either. so i told him first thing you need to do is go to chase and open up a new account and you'll also get $200 when you set up DD. this will also help start a relationship with Chase so it makes it easier for you to begin getting all the good Chase CCs down the road when you established some kind of credit.

I also told him about the Alliant Credit Union trick to help boost his score by 20-50+ points aswell and that will also help build his credit quicker.

so now i come to you guys to double check that this is the best path for my friend with no credit history. if there is a better option for him please let me know.

*****|$15,200|********|$13,500|***********|$5,000|*********|$25,000|***********|$500|
Highest Scores: Transunion 08: 821 | Equifax VantageScore 3.0: 780 | Experian 08: 804 | gardening until May 2018 or longer.
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

Re: Helping My Friend Build Credit

Check the Cap1 prequal page. They gave me a secured card when I didn't have a score.
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Helping My Friend Build Credit

Citi Secured could also plant a good root for future approval.
A good CU could also work giving a checking/saving/cc all in one.

Does your friend have income? I ask because most people that do already have checking.
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.