Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Helping Relative

tag
2FixMyCredit
Established Contributor

Helping Relative

So I received a notice in the mail, thinking it was mine (like everything else) I opened it without looking at the name.  It ended up being a collection notice from Performant Recovery for a student loan.  I told my relative of this and they ok'd me asking for help.

Her student loans are all 22+ years old yet they are threatening wage garnishments and threatening legal action against her (all this is in the notice, i can type it out if needed)  She is also on disablility so her paying it is out of the question.

Is there a SOL for student loans?  From what I've read they ALWAYS stay on your credit profile but being student loans I don't know as much as a charge off/collection.  Any help is appreciated!

BTW location in Florida.

Total CL: $40k+
Discover, BOA, GE, Cap 1, Chase, Barclay!
Gardening Start: 04/22/2013

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Helping Relative

Are these federally backed student loans?  There is a difference between private and federal SLs.  With her being on disability, they would not be able to garnish anything for private SLs, but I'm not positive on federally backed ones.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 4
trix_r_4_kids
Regular Contributor

If she's on disability, she may be able to have her loans forgiven.  Check this link for more information:

http://studentaid.ed.gov/repay-loans/forgiveness-cancellation/charts/disability-discharge

I used to post my scores here. However, I'm prone to motion sickness and the ups and downs were nauseating.
Message 3 of 4
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

@2FixMyCredit wrote:

So I received a notice in the mail, thinking it was mine (like everything else) I opened it without looking at the name.  It ended up being a collection notice from Performant Recovery for a student loan.  I told my relative of this and they ok'd me asking for help.

Her student loans are all 22+ years old yet they are threatening wage garnishments and threatening legal action against her (all this is in the notice, i can type it out if needed)  She is also on disablility so her paying it is out of the question.

Is there a SOL for student loans?  From what I've read they ALWAYS stay on your credit profile but being student loans I don't know as much as a charge off/collection.  Any help is appreciated!

BTW location in Florida.

Federal laws being changed in 1998 and 2005, made collection on federal student loans now have no statute of limitation. There are "forgivness" programs that you'll have to inquire about, and bankruptcy doesn't eliminate the federally backed loans (majority of time).

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.