Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Helping my score

tag
RUSTY101
Regular Contributor

Helping my score

Hello. My credit score with eq and tu (fico) is around 675. I do have 2 baddies, one to fall off in Feb, and the other in May. I have 3 store cards, but no bank or cu cards. My question is, would it be wise to apply after my report is clean, or now?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Helping my score

What's your most important goal? More or different CCs? Or a high FICO? You can hit the high 700s with what you have, minus the baddies but adding more time for age maybe. Adding new CCs will delay any goal of a high FICO but would set you up for the future.

Message 2 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

I would secure a major bank card.

Message 3 of 5
RUSTY101
Regular Contributor

Thank you both for your answers. If I have understood right, to have a high cs you need a bank card. With that said, I really just want the highest score I can have. When the 2 baddies( old collections) are gone, you are saying I could be in the high 700. That would be great, but would it be better if I could get a bank card? A new card would lower my avg age, but would I gain points say in a year?

Message 4 of 5
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@RUSTY101 wrote:

Thank you both for your answers. If I have understood right, to have a high cs you need a bank card. With that said, I really just want the highest score I can have. When the 2 baddies( old collections) are gone, you are saying I could be in the high 700. That would be great, but would it be better if I could get a bank card? A new card would lower my avg age, but would I gain points say in a year?

Guessing is never an exact science with regards to FICO scores, but if I had to guess, in the long run, a Visa/MC/Discover branded CC would help in the long run. In the short term, I would guess a loss in points. But after a year, you'll set yourself up to regain those points and maybe a little more. I would guess 20 gained over the next 2-3 years with all else being equal.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.