Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Helping to fix someone's credit - mail help

tag
starry1
Valued Contributor

Re: Helping to fix someone's credit - mail help

I kind of have to agree that your friend needs to participate in fixing his credit. Learning it by doing it is of immeasurable value. He could screw it up again just by not knowing which little things are hurting him. And ktl, holy cow, 72 derogs? I can't even imagine!

Starting Score: 11/29/12 TU 527; EQ 565; EX 564 fako - bk7 dc'd 2/15/13
Current Score: 1/22/15 TU 645; EQ 605; EX 633 New goal 675
Cap1 sec $1k (SD) / Fingerhut $2k / Flagship $12k / cashRewards $12k / NavChek $15k / Amazon $2k / Von Maur $1k / Firestone $2.2k / BCU $3k / NFL $1k / QS1 $750 / Target $400 / PPSC $800 / Conoco $700 (last app 09/29/14)
Message 11 of 17
Rhaeny
Valued Contributor

Is your friend too busy to go to the post office and change his mailing address?  People do that all of the time.  Good guy or not, he's got to help himself too and if he can't at least do that then how are you supposed to help him?  I am all for helping him out and all, but geez, he has 62 derogs!!!!  That's going to take a lot of time to complete and if you can't get the correspondence mail then you will just be spinning your wheels.  But if it were me, best friend, good friend or not, he would be SOL if he couldn't at least TRY to make it convienient for you to help him.

Major CC's - Barclay's ($5.5K) | Barclay's Sallie Mae MC ($5K) | DCU ($7.5K) | Discover IT ($1.4K) | Genisys Visa ($1.4K) | NFCU Visa ($22K) | Navcheck ($15K) | Chase Freedom ($5K) | SDFCU Visa ($8K) | Amex BCP ($9.5K) | Amex Delta ($10K) |Store CC's| -Amazon ($4K) | Catherines ($850) | JCP ($4K) | Macy's ($1.7K) | Avenue ($850) | Victoria's Secret ($1.4K) | Walmart ($4.1K) | Paypal SC ($1.3K) | HSN ($2.5) | Sears ($2.6K) | Sams Club ($4.1K) |Goal|: Age with grace to 750 across the board |Last app|: 3/3/2014
Message 12 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks everyone. I'm going to respectfully request the CRA and CA to copy me. If that doesn't work, I'll switch his address out for mine and see what happens.
Message 13 of 17
Rhaeny
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Thanks everyone. I'm going to respectfully request the CRA and CA to copy me. If that doesn't work, I'll switch his address out for mine and see what happens.

Ummm I really don't think that's gonna work.  Someone correct me if I am wrong, but typically the CRA's will only send to the address on file.  If that address is not on file then they ask you to send in your ID, utilities, etc to verify who you are and then they will add the new address on file.  And I believe that your address can be associated with him as well if they send you correspondence (that's only if they allow it).  IMO, maybe you should check more into this before you do it because I don't believe that this is feasible.

Major CC's - Barclay's ($5.5K) | Barclay's Sallie Mae MC ($5K) | DCU ($7.5K) | Discover IT ($1.4K) | Genisys Visa ($1.4K) | NFCU Visa ($22K) | Navcheck ($15K) | Chase Freedom ($5K) | SDFCU Visa ($8K) | Amex BCP ($9.5K) | Amex Delta ($10K) |Store CC's| -Amazon ($4K) | Catherines ($850) | JCP ($4K) | Macy's ($1.7K) | Avenue ($850) | Victoria's Secret ($1.4K) | Walmart ($4.1K) | Paypal SC ($1.3K) | HSN ($2.5) | Sears ($2.6K) | Sams Club ($4.1K) |Goal|: Age with grace to 750 across the board |Last app|: 3/3/2014
Message 14 of 17
QAMngrGirl
Frequent Contributor

@Rhaeny wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Ummm I really don't think that's gonna work.  Someone correct me if I am wrong, but typically the CRA's will only send to the address on file.  If that address is not on file then they ask you to send in your ID, utilities, etc to verify who you are and then they will add the new address on file.  And I believe that your address can be associated with him as well if they send you correspondence (that's only if they allow it).  IMO, maybe you should check more into this before you do it because I don't believe that this is feasible.

I agree, IMO it's not a feasible option. He needs to participate in his credit rebuilding - even just getting a PO Box will help tremendously.

Good luck!

Message 15 of 17
ktl72455
Valued Contributor

Since you seem to want to do it alone and not ask him to help in any way, set up a PO box for him. Give him a key and tell him you changed his address. He wont care. If you are willing to do it all , I am sure he wont mind a bit.

From MI.
12/4/12 TU 589 MyFico ~EQ 579 MyFico ~EX 577(Fako)

Myfico 8 scores
6/12/20 TU 803 ~ EQ 814~ Ex 784
My Wallet: Cap1 3,500K ~FH 2950~Credit One 1750~Credit one #2 1250~Orchard Bank 400 ~NFCU nRewards 18,000~NFCU Cash Rewards 18,500 ~Care Credit 12000~Discover 6000~Lowes 5450~ Amex 5400.00 ~ Harvest King 8000 ~ Langley~Penfed~Service CRU~red stone cru~
UTL 17%
Message 16 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

This could work. Thank you.
Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.