Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Here I go again

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here I go again

Hi all, I am new here and just wanted to say hi.  Sadly I have been down this road before and did not learn my lesson, although the recession did not do us any favors a few years back.  Basically, my husband and I threw in the towel and have been waiting out our time on our CRs.  That time is near and 7 years is a long time and we figured we had better start somewhere althought the cash life suits us just fine.  It would be nice to have decent credit again though!  

I have a few tough ones to get rid of like Ocwen, and unfortunately that one is not that old, but man aren't they a mess.  Ugh.  But so far I have made progress pretty easily  just because of old items and nonsense so that is uplifting!

Well, thanks for posting your stories!  Good luck to everyone!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Here I go again

Good luck on your journey. Make yourself some goals, make them visible. Remember this is not a sprint, it is a marathon. Celebrate the small successes, but don't get too high or too low. (Wow, I'm really starting to sound like a motivational speaker, Ha).

Anyway, take your first steps and let us know how things are going for you.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks!  Honestly I don't have that much on our reports to contend with, which is good!  For me, the only thing left is an old paid in settlement Chase.  Should age off soon enough either way.   My husband's is a little different but our biggest problem is simply no credit.  So I will fix what is fixable then go from there for now!

Thanks for the reply and you are absolutely right!   

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would check out the CapitalOne prequalification site. You can find it here: https://findmycard.capitalone.com/en/PageVersions/LandingPages/LP_UNS_QUICK_RWD_V01.aspx 

If you aren't prequalified, then I would consider looking at a secured card. The one that I went with was the OpenSky Visa. A minimum of $200 deposit to open and no credit check. A $29 annual fee will be assessed. They were a great start for me.

Good luck!

Message 4 of 6
braznyc
Frequent Contributor

I would definitely check some of the credit cards that offer prequaification, while not a guarentee it should be helpful on your journey. I was in a similar situation, but not so much negative stuff. I just stopped with credit and dealt with only student loans. So now I'm rebuilding my credit back up showing a mixture and paying down my student loans before they're out of deferrment. I have 2 accounts with Capital one and 3 retail cards with stores I shop at (each one was because of this site and all are Comenity, only soft pulls - Barneys, J Crew, and Overstock - search the site on shopping cart tricks may work later on for you or now). Try Capital One's prequal site and see what they suggest. I would also make your husband an authorized user on all your accounts. Maybe try Cap One for him too. It's a long process but the good things is your on it. No one is perfect but now you have a chance to really get it right, trust me I've been there. Good luck on your journey and keep us posted.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you!  WIll do all of the above!  Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.