Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Here is my credit situation - Need help

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Here is my credit situation - Need help

looks like I had it a lil backwards...I am still learning.......

good luck to you!  Smiley Happy

Message 11 of 20
mauve
Valued Contributor

Yeah, 30% util / 35% credit history

Starting Score: EQ 583 TU04 619 EX 592 (lender pull) 2010
Previous High Score: EQ 700 TU04 712 EX 726
Current Score: EQ 740 TU(Discover) 750 EX(AMEX) 747
Goal Score: 740+ all around

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 12 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

My hubby recently went from 85% utilization to 0% and received just under 100 pt. gain!  He doesn't have as many collections as I do though, which is hurting me badly.  He has like three old ones and I have three old ones and two newer ones.  Smiley Sad

Just having the collections hurts badly, newer ones hurt very badly.  Trying to get them PFD'd and lower that utilization is my advice.  How long have you had a credit history with CapOne?  If the other ones are deleted after you pay it could hurt just because you may lose a lot of credit history.  The longer the history the better also.  So, I would try to send them all GW letters once you've paid them before I would try to delete them all together (if they are your longest credit history).  GW CapOne once you pay that balance off, if you have any lates with them.  I'm fairly new to this too, so I'm sure most of the others is who you should take advice from.  Just thought I'd chime in.

Message 13 of 20
CS800
Super Contributor

All the BoA accounts were 'closed at customer's request' in 2007 and they were all started in 2004 and 2005.

They are all listed as negative. The cap one was started in 2008 and I had one 30 day late in 2008. I think I should just try to lower the balance considerably. Hopefully with my tax returns i will be able to pay down a lot of these. If I can close one of these BoA, and have it deleted, could that hurt my history? It's already hurting my history as a negative account.

My understanding is that once it's piad in full, it will become a positive account. But i'm doubting this one. Can someone give me some clarifications?

My cap one card is about 75% utilization but it's only $1100 limit. So I'm hoping if i pay this down to at least 30%, that my scores will jump a lot.

I don't have a credit card with a big limit. I'm dreaming those days. In 2004 I had an Amex with $15k lmiit that I never used and by some bad advice ended up closing it.

My hopw is that on this board i will get a lot of positive advice and not do te same mistakes. I want a card with sky miles so bad !!

Message 14 of 20
mauve
Valued Contributor

Once an account has the last *negatives* drop off, it becomes positive.  For instance: if an account is closed through chargeoffs, 7 years later the chargeoff and the lates affiliated drop off.  The closed, now positive account remains on your report for another 3 years. 

You're confusing payment history with utilization.  Payment history is going to involve whether or not you have any collections / if you have chargeoffs / if you have lates / how old and how severe those lates are / etc.  Utilization is just what % of your available credit is in use - it scores *both* your utilization on individual tradelines as well as your overall utilization. 

Ideal utilization involves having all but one of your accounts report 0% and to have that one account reporting less than 9% and more than 0% utilization.

Utilization is 30% of your score, payment history is 35%. 

It is possible to have closed accounts counting against you in terms of utilization. 

Message 15 of 20
CS800
Super Contributor

So if the BoA accounts were closed in 2007, the will remain on my credit file until 2014?

But if they are paid off in 2011, will they then be listed at a positive account or still a negative account?

Also once all 3 BoA cards are paid off, they will no longer be counted as part of my total utilization?

I also forgot to mention that I have an $89 collection. How do I get the collection agency to remove this after I pay this off?

Message 16 of 20
mauve
Valued Contributor

Closed accounts will remain for 10 years usually.  The negative information will drop off around 7 years after the date of first delinquency for that item.  An account closed in 2007 should drop off in 2017, but the age of the accounts may be helping you more than the negatives are hurting you. 

Are there negatives affiliated with these accounts?  You just keep saying they're closed and have balances, but do you have lates?  Are they charged off?  In what way are they negative?  Did you get a notice they were jacking your rates up, say "no, not gonna do that" and kept your old rate and just kept paying them?  

Usually, the accounts that count towards your utilization are: open accounts reporting a CL *and* closed accounts reporting a CL and a balance. 

Message 17 of 20
CS800
Super Contributor

@mauve

Check your pm, I wrote some info Smiley Happy

Also I need to have equifax remove a negative account from my file since I was an authorized user and the other person i guess decided to stop paying on it. It's listed as a collection.

Can someone give me the number for their customer service or something? Thanks

Message 18 of 20
mauve
Valued Contributor

As I said, the negatives themselves will drop off 7 years from their own DoFDs.  After those drop off, the account should continue as a positive for 10 years from the date they were closed.

You could hurt your score by having the tradelines removed, depending on the rest of your credit history.  If removing them will drop your average age of accounts, it could hurt more than help. If it won't affect your AAoA or it will lengthen it, it should help more than hurt.  The severity of your lates, though, sound like it could help more than hurt regardless of the other factor.

For the AU thing, you wouldn't talk to EQ, you'd have the person whose account it is remove you as an AU. 

Message 19 of 20
CS800
Super Contributor

For the AU, the account holder passed away last year. And I don't even know who is taking care of his stuffs.

Since I'm an authorized user, I was hoping to just call and have my record removed.

Transunion removed it when I disputed it online but EQ didn't.

How many points can I expect to gain with a collecctions removed?

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.