Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Here's my story, help me increase credit score

tag
amanda1266
Valued Member

Here's my story, help me increase credit score

Hi All,

I have been working diligently on repairing my credit.  I have had a lot of success with getting medical collections removed, but I have had no success with getting lates removed from a credit card, a student loan, and a couple auto loans.

I was wondering if anyone can help me to determine what I should do next in an effort to increase my credit score. 

Here are all my details:

My current scores according to the USAA service:

Experian: Started 582, now 607

Equifax: Started 561, now 577

Transunion: Started 573, now 604

Toyota Auto Loan, paid off, reporting to all 3 CRA: two 30 day lates, July/Dec 2006, I have GW'd 3 times, all denied. 

Ally Financial, Auto Loan, paid off, reporting to all 3 CRA: total of 8 30 days lates throughout the course of the loan, I have GW'd 3 times, all denied.. Yesterday I emailed quite a few employees I found on their website

Capital One Credit card, reporting to all 3 CRA: one 30 day late, December 2008, GW'd 3 times, all denied

Sallie Mae, reporting to all 3 CRA: one 30 day late, November 2010, GW'd 3 times, all denied

Paid Medical collections, only reporting to Equifax.  Sent GW letter, waiting for response

Unpaid Medical collections, only reporting to Equifax.  Sent PFD letter, waiting for response

Verizon chargeoff, not paid, reporting to all 3 CRA.  Sent PFD letter, waiting for response.

Ok, So as far as Utilization goes:

I have 3 credit cards, total credit line of $5300, balance due of $2300.

My fiance has two cards I could be added as an Authorized user.  The credit lines are $3000 and $1500 with $0 balances.  The accounts are about 5 years old.  Do you think this would bump up my score?? 

Ok, so there is my story.  I know the late payments are killing me, but the GW letters don't seem to be working.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Lois5669
Frequent Contributor

Re: Here's my story, help me increase credit score

Hi amanda -

They say that 30 day lates don't hurt "a lot" on your score. I'm sure with multiple 30 day lates it is hurting. However, as time goes on, they will hurt less and less. Those from 2008 are probably not doing much at all.

My first suggestion from what you have going on is, don't take no for an answer. Keep on sending those GWs.

And second, pay down the balance you have. If you can get that $5300 CL card down to under 10% util, you will see a big jump in your scores, right there. And, as long as you are assured that the cards you can be added as AU on don't have any lates on them and will be maintained at that low balance, it won't hurt to get added. I don't like not having control over my fate so I wouldn't get added, personally. It's up to you.

The last thing I would suggest, just to get yourself a good barometer, is to buy your true Fico scores from TU and EQ as the USAA scores of FAKOs.

Starting Score: EQ = 550; TU = 491(2/10/12)
Current Score: EQ = 669; TU = 674(6/20/14)
Goal Score: 700+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 9
LIGHTNIN
Senior Contributor

Your true FICO score maybe higher or lower then the FAKO's. My FICO were about 100pts higher then my FAKO's. YMMV.

How old are your collections and the Verizon CO?

And What are the balances and limits on each of the 3 CC's?

FICO scoring looks at both..... overall CC Util(utilization) and the Util of each individual CC.

The fastest way to increase a CS, is to lower your CC Util. 

FICO's May 2015 EQ764 ~~Live below your means and always keep an emergency fund -Love Everybody ~ Big Kenny ~ Big and Rich ~~~~~Credit Scoring 101 - Common Abbreviations - Freq Req Threads - Free Credit Reports - What Steps Do I Take?DV? PFD?
Message 3 of 9
amanda1266
Valued Member

@Lois5669 wrote:

Hi amanda -

They say that 30 day lates don't hurt "a lot" on your score. I'm sure with multiple 30 day lates it is hurting. However, as time goes on, they will hurt less and less. Those from 2008 are probably not doing much at all.

My first suggestion from what you have going on is, don't take no for an answer. Keep on sending those GWs.

And second, pay down the balance you have. If you can get that $5300 CL card down to under 10% util, you will see a big jump in your scores, right there. And, as long as you are assured that the cards you can be added as AU on don't have any lates on them and will be maintained at that low balance, it won't hurt to get added. I don't like not having control over my fate so I wouldn't get added, personally. It's up to you.

The last thing I would suggest, just to get yourself a good barometer, is to buy your true Fico scores from TU and EQ as the USAA scores of FAKOs.

Thank you for the reply!! I wasn't sure how much the lates were hurting me, I'm glad to hear they might not be hurting as much as I thought.  So do you think the high utilization is the major factor that is causing my scores to be so low??

I actually did purchase my Equifax Fico score last week and it was 567. 

Thanks again!

Message 4 of 9
Lois5669
Frequent Contributor

Don't get me wrong, they are hurting but over time, they are hurting less and less.  Your util, CO, and collections are hurting you most. Hopefully those GWs and PFDs will work for you. But, yeah, get that util down and it will help a LOT

Starting Score: EQ = 550; TU = 491(2/10/12)
Current Score: EQ = 669; TU = 674(6/20/14)
Goal Score: 700+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 9
amanda1266
Valued Member

@LIGHTNIN wrote:

Your true FICO score maybe higher or lower then the FAKO's. My FICO were about 100pts higher then my FAKO's. YMMV.

FICO scoring looks at both..... overall CC Util(utilization) and the Util of each individual CC.

The collections are from 2010 and the Verizon CO is from 2008.  I hope they will all work with me.. We will see.

Card 1 is $2000 CL and $0 balance

Card 2 is $700 CL and $0 balance

Card 3 is $2600 CL and $2300 balance

I am working on paying down the $2300, so hopefully when I get that down I will see an increase.

Message 6 of 9
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@amanda1266 wrote:

@LIGHTNIN wrote:

The collections are from 2010 and the Verizon CO is from 2008.  I hope they will all work with me.. We will see.

I am working on paying down the $2300, so hopefully when I get that down I will see an increase.

There is no hopefully in this. Get that down, see an increase Smiley Happy if you get that down to about $250 dollars you will see a large point increase.

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@amanda1266 wrote:

@LIGHTNIN wrote:

Pay everything you possibly can to pay down that $2300.If you have to, make some sacrifices like not going to the bars or concerts or any activites for a couple months so you can blow this debt away. In the meantime, cut those other 2 cards up, but don't close the accounts.

Message 8 of 9
casmith1980
Established Contributor

Oh...and one more note for the PFDs and GWs:

Be persistent Smiley Happy  Most of us didn't get "yes" on our first round of letters Smiley Wink

Filed BK 12/5/14
341 meeting 1/9/15
Anticipated discharge 3/10/15

Goal: 700 by 3/2017
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.