Did you mean: 

Hey guys Im new to this and I need help

tag
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Hey guys Im new to this and I need help

@Anonymous wrote:

so what does that mean X( im so confused

Smiley Happy  It all can be confusing but just take your time and you'll start to figure all this out.

The SOL is the amount of time a creditor has to successfully bring a lawsuit against someone for an unpaid debt. Some creditors will sue even after the SOL has expired because they hope the consumer will not show up and therefore the court will award a default judgment against the consumer.

If the SOL has expired and you are sued you can use "expiration of SOL" as an affirmative defense.

So knowing the SOL for your state can help determine how to go forward with trying to get negative items removed early from your reports.

Here is an excellent thread talking about What Steps Do I Take?

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 11 of 19
guiness56
Epic Contributor

SOL means that the creditor has x amount of time to sue you once you defaulted on your accounts.  It goes from the time of last payment.  So in TX, they have 4 years to do this.

If your defaulted and have not made a payment in 5 years, in the state of TX, they could not win a suit against you.  They could still try to sue but you would plead beyond SOL as your defense.

Message 12 of 19
guiness56
Epic Contributor

The open dates have no meaning for credit reporting.  You need to know when you defaulted on each account.  Some CRAs will give a date the TL will come off your report.  Just count back 7.5 years to find DoFD.  Others actually tell you what the DoFD is.

Message 13 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooook now i understand the only one that has ever threaten me about taking me to court was the manager of conns and still hasnt (im prayin he doesnt)  i just really want to pay off all these debts 

Message 14 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

is there any where  were i can go and buy the dofd

Message 15 of 19
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Do you have recent CR from each CRA?  If not, go to annualcreditreport.com.  You get one free each year from each CRA.

Message 16 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

ok great i will do that and start working on this and i will let you guys know how my process is goin

thank you a mill for your great help 

im on a mission!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Message 17 of 19
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

ok great i will do that and start working on this and i will let you guys know how my process is goin

thank you a mill for your great help 

im on a mission!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When you get those reports from annualcreditreport.com Experian and Transunion will have the drop off dates. The Equifax report will show the actual DoFD.

IME (In My Experience) those dates are pretty accurate.

From a BK years ago to:

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 18 of 19
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Another thing you can do when you get all 3 reports is go over all of them very carefully and look for any errors that you might be able to get corrected. Anything at all that your not sure about; an unfamiliar company name, a late payment listed that you feel you actually made, etc.  Make lots of notes.

From a BK years ago to:

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.