cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hi, I'm C, and I don't have a Discover.

tag
xaiduz114
Regular Contributor

Re: Hi, I'm C, and I don't have a Discover.

@Whitneyy wrote:

@Carrie_in_Pa wrote:

The First Premier card does not look bad on your credit report. It's what opened the door for me and allowed me to get better cards. It's just as useful for building credit as any other credit card. I definitely appreciate having had the card but there comes a time when a card stops serving its purpose.

My BF wants his own Discover Card too, but can't get one YET. He is going to get a secured card and work his way up.

Instead of ranting about what you can't have, why don't you take that energy and use it to work towards getting what you want? Get that Discover card if that is what will make you happy.

You complained about your income and how hard it is to get anywhere. Truth is, your income is $2000 a year less than what my family of 4 lives on. If we can get by and improve our credit than i don't see why you can't.

Getting that Disccover card is only impossible if you let it be impossible.

+1.

I don't have a Discover card. I'll probably app for one around 2016 when I'm finanically ready and my credit reports are clean. Smiley Embarassed

+1 Also. My family of 4 (about to be 5) lives on about the same amount, and I'm attempting my credit repair while not dipping into my bf's income. Lots of saving, budgeting, and seriously keeping within and below our means. Oh, and LOTS of waiting.

Maybe take a look at your spending, itemize everything, and see what you can get rid of, reduce, or change. You do that, and I'm sure you can come up with a lot of money you didn't realize you already had, but were letting get sucked away. Take into account where you bank, what your utilities are, etc. My bf and I calculated that he was getting charged a few hundred dollars every year in fees where he was banking, and I'm getting him to open an account with a CU that will save us money each month that we can put towards things we need. Perhaps get rid of the TV stations you don't want or just get rid of cable altogether. Are there items you don't use you can sell? Things like old printers, scanners, cameras; things people are looking for but you don't use or can let go for the time being. There are SO many ways to budget and make extra cash with what you have in your home and getting rid of things you don't need.

I'm not trying to be mean in any way if you are going to take it like that, I'm just saying that if a family can live on basically what you make (think of all the diapers and food we buy!) there are bound to be some corners you can cut and save some money or make extra with things you have that can be turned into cash. Smiley Happy

Good luck.

Starting Score: EQ 478 | EX N/A | TU 540 - 5/2014
Current Score: EQ 475 | EX 582 | TU 589
Goal Score: 700 by 5/2015 - My Credit Rebuilding Journey!
Collections (MED): DCS Financial (4) | Columbia Collectors (1) |
Dynamic Collectors, Inc (2) | Professional Credit Services (2) |
CMRE Financial Services (1) | Total: 10
Charge-offs: IQCU (1)
Cards I'm aiming to get:
Unitus Community CU SecuredBofA Secured
Message 31 of 47
kjel
Established Contributor

No Discover card here either.

I have been able to grow my Cap1 unsecured card from $500 to $3000 over the past 18 months though Smiley Happy I got an automatic $250 increase a few months after getting it. Got an additional $250 increase through an EO request. The past four months I've been gardening this card like crazy, charging around $500 throughout the month and paying it down to less than 10% util before the statement date. Did an online request and received a $2K CLI. Is it my forever in love card? No, but it's something to work upward from.

Frankly speaking, if you already have "many cards", not a lot of income, if your existing credit limits are low, or your combined utilization is more than 10%...one or more of these factors might be working against you. Have you tried calling the recon number to see what the denial reasons are? That might be more insightful than finding reasons to disagree with people who are trying to help you out.

Current Score: TU: 674 | EQ: 722 | EX: 717 | Last Inq. 2/16/15...Locked Up in The Garden
NFCU Cash Rewards $14K | Chase Sapphire Preferred $5K | Amex Blue Cash Preferred $6K | Cap1 Quicksilver One Visa $9K

Message 32 of 47
Carrie_in_Pa
Established Member

@xaiduz114 wrote:

@Whitneyy wrote:

@Carrie_in_Pa wrote:

The First Premier card does not look bad on your credit report. It's what opened the door for me and allowed me to get better cards. It's just as useful for building credit as any other credit card. I definitely appreciate having had the card but there comes a time when a card stops serving its purpose.

My BF wants his own Discover Card too, but can't get one YET. He is going to get a secured card and work his way up.

Instead of ranting about what you can't have, why don't you take that energy and use it to work towards getting what you want? Get that Discover card if that is what will make you happy.

You complained about your income and how hard it is to get anywhere. Truth is, your income is $2000 a year less than what my family of 4 lives on. If we can get by and improve our credit than i don't see why you can't.

+1.

I don't have a Discover card. I'll probably app for one around 2016 when I'm finanically ready and my credit reports are clean. Smiley Embarassed

+1 Also. My family of 4 (about to be 5) lives on about the same amount, and I'm attempting my credit repair while not dipping into my bf's income. Lots of saving, budgeting, and seriously keeping within and below our means. Oh, and LOTS of waiting.

Maybe take a look at your spending, itemize everything, and see what you can get rid of, reduce, or change. You do that, and I'm sure you can come up with a lot of money you didn't realize you already had, but were letting get sucked away. Take into account where you bank, what your utilities are, etc. My bf and I calculated that he was getting charged a few hundred dollars every year in fees where he was banking, and I'm getting him to open an account with a CU that will save us money each month that we can put towards things we need. Perhaps get rid of the TV stations you don't want or just get rid of cable altogether. Are there items you don't use you can sell? Things like old printers, scanners, cameras; things people are looking for but you don't use or can let go for the time being. There are SO many ways to budget and make extra cash with what you have in your home and getting rid of things you don't need.

I'm not trying to be mean in any way if you are going to take it like that, I'm just saying that if a family can live on basically what you make (think of all the diapers and food we buy!) there are bound to be some corners you can cut and save some money or make extra with things you have that can be turned into cash. Smiley Happy

Good luck.

You made me LOL for real. I didn't get my first credit card until my youngest was out of diapers.

Starting Score: 382 - 418 (2005) -- Current Score: 628 (TU08) -- 661 (Beacon 5.0) -- Goal Score: 750+
Into the Garden 6-15-2014 -- Digging in the dirt until 6-2015
Message 33 of 47
xaiduz114
Regular Contributor

@Carrie_in_Pa wrote:

@xaiduz114 wrote:

@Whitneyy wrote:

@Carrie_in_Pa wrote:

+1.

Good luck.

You made me LOL for real. I didn't get my first credit card until my youngest was out of diapers.

I still don't have a CC. I'm hoping that either in a few months when I've saved up for the deposit of my CUs secured card I'll have that, or after I start working again. Baby number 3 is probably gonna be here in about 3 weeks! Once I get the card, though, maybe I'll buy diapers with it... HAHA I'd probably blow my CL though.

If I had known about credit when I was single and working (even though I had my daughter at that point) credit building would have been oh so much easier. Oh well. It is what it is, no changing that! Smiley Happy

Starting Score: EQ 478 | EX N/A | TU 540 - 5/2014
Current Score: EQ 475 | EX 582 | TU 589
Goal Score: 700 by 5/2015 - My Credit Rebuilding Journey!
Collections (MED): DCS Financial (4) | Columbia Collectors (1) |
Dynamic Collectors, Inc (2) | Professional Credit Services (2) |
CMRE Financial Services (1) | Total: 10
Charge-offs: IQCU (1)
Cards I'm aiming to get:
Unitus Community CU SecuredBofA Secured
Message 34 of 47
buildafico
Frequent Contributor

It just takes time, if you want a great card- you have to prove you're a great customer. If you haven't been a great customer you have to pay to get great card benefits, but in many peoples case the rewards of have a standing relationship with a great bank far outweighs the cost if ownership. Take for example $495 AF amex cards...
some textsome textsome textsome textsome textsome textsome textsome textsome text>some text
Message 35 of 47

Oh the irony. I started this thread for people who can't get Discovers, and I get people with Discovers replying. eh. such is life.

Discover IT $2000 CL | Amex BCE $500 CL
Wishlist: Citi Double Cash, Chase Sapphire Preferred, BOA BankAmericard Travel Rewards, Wells Fargo Platinum
Message 36 of 47
injustifiiable
Valued Contributor

Since the can of worms has already been opened, I'm going to chime in.

To say that ALL secured cards are bad is more than a bit unfair.

I have one secured card, the Capital One card. I only had to put down $50 and got a $200 limit, so that's $150 unsecured off the bat. 6 months in, they gave me another $100 CLI, and then on my 2nd year anniversay, they gave me a CLI to $750.00.

It doesn't report as secured either. While it doesn't "graduate", if I get unsecured CLI's like this with no fee, it's more than a decent product in my eyes.

Scores 5/15/2016 (clean reports!): TU Walmart FICO: 696 | EQ FICO: 679 | EX AMEX FICO: 680

In my new wallet: American Express Green EMV: PSL $2000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard: $6400 | Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard: $1000 | Discover IT: $2500 | Amazon Rewards Visa Signature: $1500 | Chase Freedom: $1500 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $2100 | Target: $2800 | J.Crew $21,550 | Marvel (Captain America) MasterCard: $6000
Message 37 of 47
JennaD075
Contributor

@injustifiiable wrote:

I have one secured card, the Capital One card. I only had to put down $50 and got a $200 limit, so that's $150 unsecured off the bat. 6 months in, they gave me another $100 CLI, and then on my 2nd year anniversay, they gave me a CLI to $750.00.

It doesn't report as secured either. While it doesn't "graduate", if I get unsecured CLI's like this with no fee, it's more than a decent product in my eyes.

+1!  I know this topic isn't about secured cards but it was brought it up.  I love secured cards and would much rather have them if my choice was nothing or subpar cards. I do have a subpar Credit One card so I'm not knocking those either. I love that option as well.  I will take whatever I can get.  Just like I worked my job history.  I didn't turn away jobs that weren't what I wanted to do with my life.  They got me to where I am now and this is where I want to be! I too would love to have a Discover card some day but won't knock my needing secured cards along the way.  I plan on keeping 1 forever if I can so my AAOA stays good.

Message 38 of 47
Whitneyy
Valued Contributor

@JennaD075 wrote:

@injustifiiable wrote:

+1!  I know this topic isn't about secured cards but it was brought it up.  I love secured cards and would much rather have them if my choice was nothing or subpar cards. I do have a subpar Credit One card so I'm not knocking those either. I love that option as well.  I will take whatever I can get.  Just like I worked my job history.  I didn't turn away jobs that weren't what I wanted to do with my life.  They got me to where I am now and this is where I want to be! I too would love to have a Discover card some day but won't knock my needing secured cards along the way.  I plan on keeping 1 forever if I can so my AAOA stays good.

Good points! 

GOAL - 700 FICO across the board!
Message 39 of 47
Whitneyy
Valued Contributor

@xaiduz114 wrote:

I still don't have a CC. I'm hoping that either in a few months when I've saved up for the deposit of my CUs secured card I'll have that, or after I start working again. Baby number 3 is probably gonna be here in about 3 weeks! Once I get the card, though, maybe I'll buy diapers with it... HAHA I'd probably blow my CL though.

If I had known about credit when I was single and working (even though I had my daughter at that point) credit building would have been oh so much easier. Oh well. It is what it is, no changing that! Smiley Happy

Congrats on baby number 3! I'm still trying to get baby number 1! LOL

GOAL - 700 FICO across the board!
Message 40 of 47
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.