Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High Credit Usage

tag
dsw283
New Contributor

High Credit Usage

So last month I decided I was going to try something, and see if there was any increase in credit score by maxing out my card the next month, and paying it off the following. As opposed to paying month to month with a lower utilization.  I have 1 secured CC at the moment and that is the only revolving account I have.  My current credit score is 581.  Last month I maxed out that credit card to report it as a 100% utilization, and before it sat somewhere around 30%.  It only has a 476$ limit on it, and I'm going to pay it off leaving 5$ on it this next month.  Realistically after that is said and done, it reports next week, what could I expect my credit score to be?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: High Credit Usage

@dsw283 wrote:

So last month I decided I was going to try something, and see if there was any increase in credit score by maxing out my card the next month, and paying it off the following. As opposed to paying month to month with a lower utilization.  I have 1 secured CC at the moment and that is the only revolving account I have.  My current credit score is 581.  Last month I maxed out that credit card to report it as a 100% utilization, and before it sat somewhere around 30%.  It only has a 476$ limit on it, and I'm going to pay it off leaving 5$ on it this next month.  Realistically after that is said and done, it reports next week, what could I expect my credit score to be?

I'll bite 552-562

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 6
jeffg330
Regular Contributor

Wait, you maxed it out LAST month and your score dropped to its current 581? My guess would be 6-7 points more than whatever it was when you were 30% the month before

Starting Score: EQ 609 EX 570 TU 656 March 2012 CH 7 BK 12/08
Current Score: EQ 691 EX 694 TU 713
Goal Score: all 3 700's.
Quicksilver $5000 Discover IT $1500 Barclays NFL $1250 Walmart $1500 CL Applied Bank $300 (secured)

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

In the Garden till 12/14
Message 3 of 6
dsw283
New Contributor

Just to update, I just pulled my EQ again, and my new EQ Score was 626, which was was a 45 point bump.

Message 4 of 6
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@dsw283 wrote:

Just to update, I just pulled my EQ again, and my new EQ Score was 626, which was was a 45 point bump.

I am late to the party but I would have guessed around that score... ha

Kinda like I totally would have guessing in hindsight the Giants would be 0-5

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 5 of 6
KoolDev
Regular Contributor

My FICO jumped 15 points today due to high usage.  I didnt get close to maxing them out but used them ALOT and paid it over the month.  Surprised me.  

My Sock Drawer: Care Credit $4200-0, JCP 2100-0, Chase 3000-0, Chase Freedom $4500.00-0, WF $1000.00-0.00
In Use: NFCU Visa Sig $17.5k- 0.00k
I still have too MANY CARDS
Starting Score 538
Current Score Oct 30-14 701 fico Eq-- 745 Fico Tu-- 713 Fico Ex
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.