Did you mean: 

High Utilization - How to Pay Cards

tag
trnl2016
Regular Contributor

Re: High Utilization - How to Pay Cards

@Oyiwaa wrote:

Thanks very much, Gemini101 et al:

I agree, it is wise to also take the APRs into consideration.  I dug out my records, and here is my snapshots of APRs and limits so far:

BarclaysMC = ($750 Limit;  25.24%)
CapitalOneMC ($400 Limit; 25%)
CapitaloneMC-Secured ($700 Limit; 20%)
Amazon Chase ($2500 Limit;  22.49%)
BestBuy MC:  ($2000 Limit; 18.24%)
DCU Visa ($3000 Limit; 18%)
WellsFargo Visa ($800 Limit; 17.74%)
Discover: ($5000 Limit; 15% APR)
AmericanExpress-Costco ($2000 Limit; 15.59%)

So, given these, what would be a good strategy? Pay off Barclays ($750), Amazazon Chase($2500) and the two CapitalOne cards ($1100) ? 

Thanks - Oyiwaa

That sounds like a good plan. If you really have a full $5k to dedicate to this endeavor, throw the Wells Fargo in for good measure. You'll appreciate having another card paid off. Then as Norman suggested, use the strategy he outlined, focusing primarily on one card at a time (while maintaining minimum payment due on the others). 

Message 11 of 15
Oyiwaa
Regular Contributor

Hello Folks,

Thanks very much for your encouraging. I went ahead and paid the following 6 cards with the $5K refund: Barclays, Cap1A, Cap1B, AmazonChase, WellsFargo & Khols.  Now, I will remove these cards from my wallet and place them in a safe-celebratory box. :-)

My next strategy would be to focus on the BestBuy and DCU cards, using Norman's strategy of turning interest and rewards into payments.

I did check the Discover card and yes, as you rightly guessed, no BT offers.  

cheers, Oyiwaa

Message 12 of 15
elim
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

This may help:

How to pay off balances faster, while immediately improving scores by reducing UTI%.

This is a strategy for low to moderate credit card balances that are less than or equal to ones monthly income.

For example - a credit card with 24% interest has a 2k limit and is maxed out at Christmas time, and monthly income is 2K, and the monthly budget is $1900. The extra $100 is applied to the card each month. It will take over 2 years to pay the balance off, you'll pay upwards of $400 or more in interest, and FICO scores suffer signifigantly in the first year of the payment schedule because of the high UTI%. This is the payment strategy most people use. It works like this:

Lets assume the due date is the 1st and the statement closes the 3rd day of the month and the person is paid on the 1st and 15th of the month.

We'll sart out at the first of the month, Jan 1, the $100 payment from last month has already been paid, so the current balance is $1900. Normally they would begin paying their bills and making their monthly purchases with their paycheck, the statement would close Jan 3 and $40 interest will be added to their balance, for a total of $1940. On Jan 15th they continue this, spending $900 and make a $100 payment on the card, reducing the balance to $1840. When the next stament closes on Feb 3, another $38 interest will be added to the balance, bringing it back up to $1877, another mid-month payment on Feb 15 reduces it to $1777, and on March 3rd another $37 in interest is added, bringing the balance to $1814. At this point, three payments of $100 have been made (in Dec, Jan, and Feb), but only $186 of the balance has been paid down - $114 has been eaten by Interest.

Here is a much better, much faster way - and it doesn't cost you a dime.

Jan 1st arrives, instead of paying monthly bills with our $1000 paycheck, we pay $1000 on the card balance, bringing it down to $900, and on Jan 3rd, the statement closes and $40 interest is added for a Statement balance of $940. Then after the statement closes we use the card for all of our monthly spending, cutting it off when it hits $1940 (less if possible) until Jan 15th, when we pay another $1000 on it, bringing it back to $940. Because the last statement balance was $940, and we have paid $1000 on it before the due date, there will be no interest added at the statement closing. We use the card for the second half of our monthly spending, $900, bringing the balance back up to $1840, and on Feb 1st, again we pay $1000 on it, bringing the statement balance down to $840. We pay the first half of February's expenses on the card, limiting it to $1840 by Feb 15th, when we drop another $1000 on it, to bring it down to $840. Second half of Feb adds another $900 in monthly spending, bringing it up to $1740 and on March 1st, we pay it down to $740. Again, because more than the previous Statement balance has been paid, no interest will be added on March 3rd, for a statement balance of $740. You can see that by October 3rd our statement balance will show an "ideal" UTI% of $40. And We've done it in only ten months vs. 24+ months with the "conventional" payment method, all without sacrificing anything, no trimming the budget, or otherwise trying to find extra dollars each month. AND at the outset, we reduced our UTI% from 90%+ to under 50% in the VERY FIRST MONTH. Scoring increases early on make CLI's much more likely within the first 6 months, and if it happens to be a reward card like a Capital One QS/QS1 - you can chop off two months and finish in August if the rewards are used to reduce the balances, or you can just treat your self to a nice night out, with nearly $300 in rewards.

Yes, it takes planning. And yes, it take some discipline, but virtually ANYONE can do this, if they choose to - and save themselves a boatload of money in the process.

Hey that's a pretty good way to add any interest you would have accrued directly to the payment instead. Awesome hack Norman.  Kudos

Message 13 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Oyiwaa wrote:

Hello Folks,

Thanks very much for your encouraging. I went ahead and paid the following 6 cards with the $5K refund: Barclays, Cap1A, Cap1B, AmazonChase, WellsFargo & Khols.  Now, I will remove these cards from my wallet and place them in a safe-celebratory box. :-)

My next strategy would be to focus on the BestBuy and DCU cards, using Norman's strategy of turning interest and rewards into payments.

I did check the Discover card and yes, as you rightly guessed, no BT offers.  

cheers, Oyiwaa

Great job (sorry I missed your last post...still getting used to this forum) anyway..

keep checking your Discover for the 0% BT .....usually I just click into the balance transfer tab and it there (today only, of course)

but your right it doesn't appear as an 'offer' per se but any day of the week I click into it, it says 'ok for TODAY...ends at midnight yada, yada

Let me know if you find it

Best of Luck,

Message 14 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Fantastic job on getting rid of the cards! I'm in the same boat and almost on my way to Zero out all cards. Just waiting for March 4th, payday. Aferwards, all paycheck will be savings and equity. 

I started out in December 2015 with 4 cards nearly maxed out (Over $10K). Since all has similar interests, I just pay off the smallest one first for instant gratificaiton. Then tackled the second lowest card with the next payday. Tax refund took care of the third. Now I'm on the last one with $1300 left and a $400 rotating balance left on one(my spending card). I'm just super excited that all are manageable at the moment and that I have achieved this within 2.5 months.

Again, keep up the good work. Can't wait for March Bonuses, will all be going into the bank!

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.