Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Higher Credit Limit?

tag
PapasWifey
Regular Contributor

Higher Credit Limit?

Thank GOD that after my 77 point drop on Tuesday, I have regained 20 of those points back today (due to util% going from almost 100 down to 0). In any event, my question is does it matter (FICO wise) if there is a higher credit limit on a card if the util reports at 0 every month? Like, could the mere fact of having a higher limit cause an increase if no other factors change?

I am considering keeping my Cap 1 secured card and just increasing the limit quite a bit (so as to report a higher credit limit), but only if it could help. That card is always PIF.

Advice?

Starting Score: 576 EQ 1-12-13
Current Score: 588 EQ 2-3-13
Goal Score: 650

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

Re: Higher Credit Limit?

No. The amount doesn't matter, just the percentage. Fico considers a $50 balance on a $500 card the same as $500 balance on a $5000 card.
In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 2 of 9
hilltro
Valued Member

Hello,

I will say on my Transunion and Experian (Not sure about Equifax) One of the reason for my adverse score was low credit limits. Not sure if this alone would raise a score but they report that as a reason for a lower score.

Amex Platinum | Amex Zync | Penfed Plat Rewards | Discover IT | Bank Of America Cash Rewards

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@hilltro wrote:

Hello,

I will say on my Transunion and Experian (Not sure about Equifax) One of the reason for my adverse score was low credit limits. Not sure if this alone would raise a score but they report that as a reason for a lower score.

You were getting a FAKO score.  I know this because you cannot get your own EX FICO score.  FAKO scores are just that, fake.  One common thing I have seen is that they actually consider the amount of your credit limits.  FAKOs are not used by any lenders and often give bad advice.  Some of this advice can actually be counter productive to raising your real FICO score.

Message 4 of 9
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

+1. Ignore scoring advice unless it is from FICO.

FICO scoring only cares about revolving utilization ~ not about the size of your credit limits.
March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 5 of 9
hilltro
Valued Member

Sorry Should have clarified it was directly from them. Was not sure if FICO counted it but now I am aware. Although a correction needs to be made... I do get my EX FICO.. hehe

Amex Platinum | Amex Zync | Penfed Plat Rewards | Discover IT | Bank Of America Cash Rewards

Message 6 of 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

While I agree that a 50/500 util is the same as a 500/5000 util, percent util is not the only scoring factor.

FICO apparently also scores, in some unspecified manner, the total debt.

Thus, while % util may be the same, I dont believe it is accurate to conclude that it doesnt matter in final FICO scoring.

Message 7 of 9
esme
Regular Contributor

@RobertEG wrote:

While I agree that a 50/500 util is the same as a 500/5000 util, percent util is not the only scoring factor.

FICO apparently also scores, in some unspecified manner, the total debt.

Thus, while % util may be the same, I dont believe it is accurate to conclude that it doesnt matter in final FICO scoring.

I would like to add that even though your % util may not be very high in relation to your total credit available, maxing out one credit card amongst having $0 balances reporting on all other ccs can't be good either.

Starting Scores: EQ 582 TU 584 EX 615 (FICO - Lender Pulled) 1/4/2012
Current Scores:EQ 632 TU 698 EX 669 (Lender Pulled) 3/17/2012
Goal Scores:700 club here we come!

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 9
PapasWifey
Regular Contributor

So would having a higher limit on a cc improve the chances of getting improved for a better limit once eligible for better cards? Or is it dependent upon the other factors like credit score, baddies, income, etc?

Starting Score: 576 EQ 1-12-13
Current Score: 588 EQ 2-3-13
Goal Score: 650

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.