cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highest Fingerhut CL? (Fingerhut Review)

tag
jbishop1001
Frequent Contributor

Highest Fingerhut CL? (Fingerhut Review)

I joined Fingerhut in May and received a revolving line for $300 (Not Fresh Start, actual revolving)

I was attracted to this option because a) almost everyone's approved and b) I kept reading about the incremental credit line increases. Turns out, Fingerhut reviews for CL automatically 10 times a year. TEN TIMES in a year.

I was a little leery, but read several reviews and figured out how to work with Fingerhut to improve my credit. I placed an order for a fan for $60.99 total (including shipping, taxes and minus a $5 promo code I found on Google. They're easy to find).  Minimum due $6.99 every month, for 10 months. I paid $14.99 and then my balance was $46.

I received an e-mail from Fingerhut with a FREE SHIPPING sitewide code but it was ONLY good for THAT day. I had my eye on a feather bed - and I decided that saving $55 on shipping was worth the order. I logged into my account the next day and received a CLI to $600!!!

Very happy, as I was so worried my utilization would suffer. Much worth the credit given even if the items & shipping are overpriced. I'm also getting a free gift for entering a catalog # from just simply ordering a free catalog. I've only been able to see 1 person say they received a 60 x 80 fleece throw. That'd be nice!

I wonder what everyone's maximum Fingerhut limit is? I've read as much as $1100... but I think after that people move on to better cards once the credit score gets boosted. Please leave your experience!

Starting Fico 8 Score: 571 EQ - 574 EX 605 TU Current Fico 8: 695 EQ 677 EX 709 TU
Message 1 of 73
72 REPLIES 72
afr4life06
Contributor

Re: Highest Fingerhut CL? (Fingerhut Review)

I moved up from 300 to 500 to 800 and now 1300. I also just buy small stuff because i have heard horror stories of when you buy too much, they might lower your limit and that could screw you over as far as your utilization. I do want to move on, but i think for the small stuff in life it good. 

Starting Score: 525 TU 515 EX 510 EQ Oct '13
Current Score: 644 TU(Oct 14) 678 EX(Oct 2014) 684 EQ (Oct'14)
Goal Score: 700 and a Home in 1yr

Message 2 of 73
jbishop1001
Frequent Contributor

When did you first get your account?  And how long did it take to get to $1300? Thanks for the info!

Starting Fico 8 Score: 571 EQ - 574 EX 605 TU Current Fico 8: 695 EQ 677 EX 709 TU
Message 3 of 73
baller4life
Super Contributor

I am at $1100 now. Haven't used it for months. I have moved on! Smiley Wink
Message 4 of 73
jbishop1001
Frequent Contributor

baller, I have read that if you don't use it they decrease your limit? Is this true?

Message 5 of 73
dapps06
Frequent Contributor

Considering my scores in my sig, do I have a good chance of getting approved for this? Or should I hold off?

Message 6 of 73
Whitneyy
Valued Contributor

@dapps06 wrote:

Considering my scores in my sig, do I have a good chance of getting approved for this? Or should I hold off?

I feel like almost anyone gets approved, even if its for the freshstart program. 

GOAL - 700 FICO across the board!
Message 7 of 73
jbishop1001
Frequent Contributor

If you're nervous about it - you can apply for Fresh Start. You pay $30 for a $200 limit... buy something .... pay it off right away. You should graduate to a revolving account by doing this once or twice.... only thing is that the Fresh Start shows up as an installment loan - so without paying it off right away, you might actually ding your credit. You can see my scores below, I was approved for the regular revolving account. It's worth a shot. I'm definately happy about risking the inquiry. (They do a hard pull, I can get back to you on which CRA's if you need me to)

Message 8 of 73
dapps06
Frequent Contributor

@jbishop1001 wrote:

If you're nervous about it - you can apply for Fresh Start. You pay $30 for a $200 limit... buy something .... pay it off right away. You should graduate to a revolving account by doing this once or twice.... only thing is that the Fresh Start shows up as an installment loan - so without paying it off right away, you might actually ding your credit. You can see my scores below, I was approved for the regular revolving account. It's worth a shot. I'm definately happy about risking the inquiry. (They do a hard pull, I can get back to you on which CRA's if you need me to)

No, that's okay. I just did a quick search online and I keep reading that they charge more for their products because they offer low payments. I'll just stick with my Amazon store card then, Amazon almost always has the best prices it seems. Thanks for the reply though.

Message 9 of 73
jbishop1001
Frequent Contributor

Right, they do charge more.

But they have smaller items. Like sheets, appliances... things you could easily just pay off. To me, it's worth the credit limit increases to keep my utilization lower. Just keep it in mind!

Message 10 of 73
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.