Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hipaa process?

tag
Gstew
Valued Member

Hipaa process?

I can't seem to find much info on it. Anybody have an easy 1-2-3 process? I would like to directly dispute with the CA if possible..
Anybody have a letter? I keep finding confusing information
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Hipaa process?

Can't discuss the process itself only generalities.  You won't find in on the forums anymore.

I have PM'd you.

Message 2 of 8
Miscellamy
Contributor

Guiness, would you mind PMing me the hipaa process information as well? Much appreciated.

I've recently sent a bunch of GW letter for paid medical collections still reported by CAs. I'll give that time to see if anything comes of it, but I'd like to figure out if the hipaa process provides a Plan B in case GW doesn't get me any results. 

Thanks!

Message 3 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

What would be the inaccuracy in reporting that would be the basis for a dispute with the debt collector?

The so-called  HIPAA process is an after-the-fact and questionable legal interpretation of the HIPAA statute.

While the HIPAA statute specifically authorizes the retention of sufficient information to conduct collection of an unpaid debt, the HIPAA process is premised on the arement that once that persissible retention purpose has expired due to payment of the debt, the debt collector and CRAs are therafter prevented from any retention of that information.

It is not a legally validated interpretation, and thus not discussed as to "how to do it" on this site.

If you are still contesting and unpaid debt by way of dispute, it would appear that any application of that process would be premature, as they would still have permissible retention purposes for the information.

Message 4 of 8
cat98037

Hello. I am new to this forum and this "hipaa process". I'm confused about it. I have medical collections on my reports (I haven't got the official credit reports from the CRA's but can see some info on my credit monitoring site). Some are still in SOL, one isn't but still reporting, one is for a bill that I believe is not mine and the rest are bills that I believe are valid and I'm prepared to pay in full. However, I would like them to be deleted if I am paying in full. I might have made a mistake. One CA sent me DV after I requested them over the phone. I called them today and told them that I wanted to work with them, to pay the bills in full in exchange for deletion. She said her company does not do that. They report the balance as $0, which is not helpful to me. What is this hipaa process and what are the steps....especially since I've contacted the CA's via phone now?

Message 5 of 8
DaBears
Senior Contributor

You can use google. The HIPPA process can not be discuss on this site. Only in PM's. 

Message 6 of 8
cat98037

Thank you for responding so quick. Yes, I did google it but remain confused as to the steps that I should now take and in what order, especially since I;ve contacted the CA. Are you able to PM me with this? I would be very grateful.

Message 7 of 8
DaBears
Senior Contributor

Unfortunately I can't as I don't use the Hippa Process as it does not work on paid medical collections.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.