Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hippa question

tag
lacecop98
Established Member

Hippa question

So i had my twins in 2010 and had cobra insurance from work, plus medicaid. Obviously in sc medicaid expires for the mother After 6wks. So in 2012 i had my last daughter and had to reapply for Medicaid and had no other insurance. Well every single bill was paid except the anesthesia bill. I had severe ppd so if anyone tried to call, they would never get me on the phone. The problem is that the anesthesia dept thought i still had cobra and medicaid, so they billed neither one. By the time i got back to life and reality it was already on my report and there is nothing i can do. Shouldn't they have at least tried medicaid? The hospital was given all my info and everything was billed correctly. Wouldn't separate billers get the info from the hospital. I don't know how to fix this when i feel it should've been billed to medicaid. They should've tried to bill someone instead of sitting on it....any help would greatly be appreciated!
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
MrsCHX
Valued Contributor

Re: Hippa question

You're going to have to own this. Seriously. It's your bill, even with health insurance. It's on you to ensure the appropriate entities handle their part because as you are seeing now, no one is on the hook but you. 

Call the hospital and see if they have any sort of forgiveness. I've had success having hospital bills brought down a LOT by just calling. Then make arrangements to pay the balance. More likely than not, once you pay it, they'll delete it. When was it added to your reports? 

NFCU: $25,000; PenFed Power Cash Rewards: $3,500; PenFed Gold: $2,500; Capital One: $2,300; Nordstrom Visa: $2,000; Credit One: $1,250
Amazon: 800; Kohls: $1,500
Message 2 of 6
lacecop98
Established Member

Yes it's on two of my reports but it isn't the through the hospital. They out source for several departments (radiology, anesthesia) stuff like that. So when i registered at the hospital i give them my insurance info. They share that info with the other departments like anesthesia. Every single bill directly from the hospital was paid in full. All other Out sourced bills were also paid in full except the anesthesia one.
Message 3 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If you are ultimately able to get the bill paid by an insuror, you can then have it removed from your credit report without any need for reliance on any other process, such as the so-called HIPAA process.

I would pursue obtaining payment from the insuror,and if they pay, notify the CRA and the CRA will remove based on their own policy of deletion of medical collections that are paid by medical insurance.

Message 4 of 6
lacecop98
Established Member

It's to old to have the insurance company pay....they only go back a year
Message 5 of 6
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

For unpaid medical debt that is reporting on your CR:

1. Call the OC and see if you qualify for Charity Care
2. If not then ask that they recall the collection in exchange for full payment
3. Send the reporting CA a PFD offer
4. Google the HIPAA Process and contact its creator for help

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.